Christmas Gifts
I have 3 daughters, 7 GK & a GGS plus LOML. Giving them all $ is old to me, even though they appreciate it. My youngest GK is 13 and the oldest is 24 (mother of GGS).

I would like to hear some suggestions that I can make in my shop please.

Jim
Jim
A few ideas that my family has enjoyed in the past:

Memory boxes
Cutting boards
Serving trays
How about something they can use with their phones/tablets?

Google for images like "wood cell phone holder" or "wood tablet stand"
You can make them for specific devices or in batches.
Woodsmith has plans for a phone amplifier they made it on the woodsmith show it looks pretty easy and would be great if they play music on their phones
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”
I have seven grandkids also...and I have NO suggestions!!!!!!!!!

Suggestions for adults in order of appreciation:
end grain cutting boards
pepper mills
end grain coaster sets
boxes
cheese trays were big hit with some
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Horse Racing Game.  I've made this in wood as well as canvas for portability.  It is an absolute blast to play particularly when everyone gets into cheering during dice rolls.
You don't have to use horses, you can use any kind of marker your wish. Toy stores have plastic animal assortments that can work also. Just adjust the size of square to allow room for whatever marker you chose. The picture below is not the one I made, but shows you how to layout the game.

HORSE RACING RULES
Using a regular deck of cards, remove all aces and kings leaving 44 cards (two through queen).
Set up horses in numerical order.
Dealer deals all cards to the players until all 44 cards are dealt.
Some people may end up with more cards than others.

First person to the left of dealer rolls both dice. The total number is the first "money" horse.
Move this horse back one space BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards
that card and pays the pot. Example: A 2 & 5 are rolled. The 7 horse is moved back one space.
Anyone with a 7 in their hand throws it in the discard pile and puts 25 cents in the pot. If
someone has two 7s, they will throw 50 cents in the pot and discard both 7Âs, three 7Âs is 75
and four 7Âs is $1.00. Now anytime a 7 is rolled, the person rolling the dice will add 25 cents
to the pot.

Then next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the second "money" horse.
Move this horse back two spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards
that card and pays the pot (50 cents) for each card. If the person happens to roll the previous number
(say the 7 from the example) they will pay the 25 cents and roll again.

The next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the third "money" horse. Move this
horse back three spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card
and pays the pot (75 cents) for each card. If the person happens to roll either of the previous numbers
(say the 7 from the example) they will pay the amount for the number and roll again.
The next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the fourth and last "money" horse.
Move this horse back four spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that
card and pays the pot ($1.00) for each card. If the person happens to roll either of the previous numbers
(say the 7 from the example) they will pay the amount for the number and roll again. These four horse
will not move again during this game.

Now the game can begin! The next person rolls the dice. The total of the dice indicates the number horse
to move one space FORWARD. If a "money" horse number is rolled, the person who rolled it pays the pot the
required amount and the dice are passed to the next player. Continue rolling the dice, moving horses
forward or paying the pot until one horse reaches the end. The first horse to reach the finish line
(last space) is the winner. All players holding that number card wins a fourth of the pot. If a player
is holding two winning cards they receive half the pot, three winning cards will receive three quarters
of the pot, and four winning cards will receive all of the pot. If there is any extra money that can not
be split equally will stay in the pot for the next game.

Continue the next game the same way with the person to the left of the previous deal now the new dealer.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Christmas tree ornaments seem to be appreciated in our family. Woodturning or scrollsaw are the easiest toolset.

Sign and put the year on them. In some cases, the recipients name can be added as well.

If you turn snowmen with top hats, T-shirt paint works well for the coal and for the carrot nose (stretch it out when you apply it and then put the snowman in a v-block with the face down to let the "carrot" dry/harden pointing in the right direction). If you use an oil finish, it needs to be essentially dry before you add the bits of black coal and the orange nose.

If the recipients are into wine, there are lots of options for bottle stoppers.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I made some wooden bracelets (I believe they were in Wood Magazine), A candle stand.

Some sort of "curio case" where they can display awards they've earned .
Bobble heads are always a hit. I have given several of my grand kids homemade bobble heads - mostly for silly but special times of their lives. I glue head & torso photos to 3/4" stock and use springs from plate hangers to make them wobble. Nothing too serious - maybe holding up a stringer of fish; cap and gown at graduation; breaking the finish tape at a race; sitting on a diving board; making a goofy face or someone giving them "bunny ears." They all felt really special and enjoyed the silliness, too. Biggest trick is getting the right spring (plate hanger springs work best) and cutting it to the right length so it jiggles ok. I use a dowel jig to drill a hole in the body and the head, and epoxy the spring in place. Sometime I have to stretch a couple coils to get the right action.

Take a look at the plans on my website. Anything there that interests you, just PM me and I will send you the plans free. 

Same goes for any forum member.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.