Offshoot of Too Much Home time - Tools for Small Hands
Small watch-hands,  that is!

I'd been wanting to get into watchmaking, at least for kits and basic repairs if not yet the deeper innards.   My waist-height woodworking bench was a nightmare for bad working posture and losing small parts.

Now I have something closer to chest height, a new work surface built atop another tool in the shop.   This has made a big difference!

There are good areas of overlap to woodwork.  Working metal through different abrasive levels is a universal technique.  Lathe chucks make great jigs for round bezels.  Having nice holders for dedicated tools just makes things more enjoyable, too!

Chris
Chris
Uh-Oh.... A new slide develops. 

There are never too many hobbies, passions, and interests. Just time, space and maybe, money.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
A horologist, eh? Lately, not having much access to my shop, I've been into watches. I have probably as much invested in my watch obsession as I do in my woodworking. I can fully appreciate a workbench at chest height and the tools you have laid out on the table. Watch servicing / repairs / takes a steady hand with precision. Good on you for using your woodworking skills to elevate your watchmaking skills.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-22-2020, 09:33 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: Small watch-hands,  that is!

I'd been wanting to get into watchmaking, at least for kits and basic repairs if not yet the deeper innards.   My waist-height woodworking bench was a nightmare for bad working posture and losing small parts.

Now I have something closer to chest height, a new work surface built atop another tool in the shop.   This has made a big difference!

There are good areas of overlap to woodwork.  Working metal through different abrasive levels is a universal technique.  Lathe chucks make great jigs for round bezels.  Having nice holders for dedicated tools just makes things more enjoyable, too!

Chris
Nice hobby...I was deeply involved in clocks and watch repair back in the early seventies...Particularly Ship's clocks and pocket watches. I made the rounds of local pawn shops so often that they knew my name..Got the ones that didn't work much cheaper and repaired them..Joined the NAWCC and bought, sold and traded..still have a few ships clocks and four small "suitcase" lathes with tooling.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I'm also a watch collector but I'm painfully aware of my limitations in watchmaking. I'm limited to changing straps and batteries, anything else goes to a pro. I'm envious of your skill!
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

Nice to hear encouraging comments from watch enthusiasts!

I am definitely starting with easier stuff, and making my good share of mistakes.

I did finish one repair this past week, a new crystal and some metal resurfacing on this watch I got in.  It'll probably be like when I was flipping woodworking tools a lot -- I won't make money, but I'll enjoy it!

Chris

Chris
(08-24-2020, 10:22 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Nice to hear encouraging comments from watch enthusiasts!

I am definitely starting with easier stuff, and making my good share of mistakes.

I did finish one repair this past week, a new crystal and some metal resurfacing on this watch I got in.  It'll probably be like when I was flipping woodworking tools a lot -- I won't make money, but I'll enjoy it!

Chris

Nice restore !!!!!!!!
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Cool watch, Chris.  Nice job on the restoration.  

I have received an inquiry to make a watch storage case.  The person is a friend and an Air Force JAG officer.  He has not been satisfied with anything he has found on the market.  I am very hesitant to get involved because there are such boxes available from various sources that seem well-suited.  If he has rejected those, what must he be looking for?  It is almost a given that this would not be a profitable venture, and that is ok.  What I would not want is a disappointed client when all is said and done.  If you have any ideas, the request is for a case that would hold six watches.
Mike -- Glad to see you back up on the Forum!

It's hard to please a client who doesn't know what he wants.
I'm thinking as a woodworker your main advantage over the mass-manufactured pieces is the quality of wood you can apply.   Design-wise, it's just way too open of a field, itsn't it?

I have a couple of things I like.  One is the valet I made last fall, featuring figured ash and hickory:

The other is my recent parts-box for the watchmaking bench.  All this wood is very old, very tight quartersawn stuff.  I could see making an array of these drawers:

Let us know how it works out!

Chris
Chris
Here's something a little different that came up as I blended some different watch components together.  I had to adapt a thinner movement to a case designed for a thicker movement.

I was able to turn a thin spacer on the lathe, using Acetal (Delrin) stock.   Not bad for an experimental effort!

Chris

Chris