Downdraft Table
I'm thinking about building a downdraft table that will sit on my workbench when needed. I see the fancy panels on Amazon with the rubber supports and stops. However, they're pretty pricey. I was thinking about using hardboard or planed down MDF with a bunch of holes instead. For pieces that slip around, I have an anti slip sanding mat with an open weave. I know the MDF would be heavier, but would require fewer supports underneath. I would also use this for rounding corners with my trim router. I do this on the sanding mat today. Thoughts? I have some plywood and MDF already. I know it would take time to drill all of the holes, but I'm waiting for cooler days to tint pieces for the second dresser anyway.

The other question would be dust collection. Would it be better to have two 4" ports, or a single port and keep the DC hose on my sander as well? My sander has a pretty decent filter, but I just have the DC hose on it when using it right now.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
What about just using pegboard? No idea if that will work, just thinking out loud.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Two or three layers of peg board laminated together should give the same result as mdf.
I built this last year for use making the Christmas cutting boards.  Let me know if you can't see the pics.
A single layer of pegboard, two lateral supports just under, an angled bottom to increase suction, and connection for the dust collector.  Still working great.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.ph...it=Sanding

If you it requires you to sign up to the Henry forum, you might see a few folks you know.
If you'd rather not, pm me, I will find the pics and post them here.  That goes for everyone.

Big Grin 

No pressure if you can't see the pics as a guest.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
"If you it requires you to sign up to the Henry forum, you might see a few folks you know."

I only have one Henry, is that enough to join? Lol. I was able to see it.

I'm surprised that was enough support for the pegboard. Did the angled piece make a difference in performance, or did it just make it easier to clean out?
Anyone can join, without a Henry.  It's a friendly site, great helpful folks.
Yes, it's not my original idea, although using the pegboard is.   I haven't had to disassemble to clean.  I stick a shop vac hose in now and then, but it's not really necessary.  The jet dust collector does a good job.

As for support, there is a dado ledge all the way around the edge, and the cross braces.  The pegboard is 3/8" vs 1 /4.  Plenty stiff to start.  I tried it on the bench across 2x4s to make sure I would be satisfied with the rigidity...

I'm really happy with it.  Must be, I hauled it 1,200 miles to Oklahoma! 
Laugh
Jim in Okie
So I ended up putting together a quick and dirty one with supplies that I had.  I forgot I had a decent size piece of pegboard in the shop.  I know it won't win any awards or make Bill Pentz happy, but it does seem to help.  I'll keep the air cleaner on and wear my respirator too.

I just went with one 4" fitting and kept the hose on the sander as well.  Even though the sander host is small, it does help quite a bit already.  I have the rough side of the pegboard up to help hold pieces in place.  It does collect a bit of dust from the pieces rubbing on it.

i built one into my workbench following this video. main difference being i used strips of 3/4" instead of all the routing and made the veins run at an angle towards the dust port. works great. 
[video=youtube]http://https://youtu.be/V9USUzLaMrI[/video]
(08-24-2020, 05:39 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote:  The pegboard is 3/8" vs 1 /4.  Plenty stiff to start.  

That's something I didn't know existed. Where in the world did you get it?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My wife found four 4x8 sheets of it at the "Restore Store" in Farmville Va for $5 each, bought all four. One was painted white, two lime green, and another was yellow.  The Restore Store takes donations of all kinds, mostly furniture and building materials, sells them, and the money goes to Habitat for Humanity.  Some of the stuff is used, but useable.  Much of the stuff is brand new, leftovers from jobs the contractors donate, or they clean out their trucks or storage and donate. Good for us.

Miss T shopped there often, just to see whst came in.  She bought five gallons of Sherwin Williams exterior paint for $20.  Normally $100+.  Lowes had miss-tinted it.  She used it to paint her chicken coop.  The label said brick.  Miss-tinted.  Her gals lived in a coop with $100 mauve paint. 
Big Grin. Preserved the wood, and didn't look too bad.  Would have looked good in Miami. 
Laugh

She also picked up a bucket, bucket full, of solid brass 6" gate hinges for a dollar each.  New in the package.  You always need hinges on the farm.  She found a half dozen brass piano hinges, paint brushes, corner braces, boxes of torx screws. .. You name it.

We haven't found one here yet, but there probably is something similar.

Big Grin
Jim in Okie