replacing a hollow core door.
I am replacing a hollow core door that is damaged with a replacement hollow core door.  I thought it would be easier to paint the door with it lying flat before installation.  I used painters pyramids to raise the door off the flat surface I had the door resting on.

The problem was that unlike previous hollow core doors that I have used, this one does not have a door skin made of plywood.  Instead it has a thin veneer of wood over cardboard.  As a result, just the weight of the door and the pressure of a paint roller managed to poke 4 holes in the "skin" that nearly penetrated the cardboard.  I was able to use spackle to repair the divots, but the quality is really depressing.  I  may replace this again with a solid core door.  
[Image: HydeTools_Painters_Pyramids.jpg?1556068480]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Menards? Seventeen.
That is a problem with many things.  Even solid wood surfaces will get dented if you only use a few pyramids and the item is heavy.  The solution is to use more pyramids to distribute the load out over a greater number of points.  But for a door like you have you also could drive screws into the ends and use those to hand the door on your sawhorses. That's my typical approach for man doors. It makes it easy to flip the door over, too.

John
(08-24-2020, 09:07 AM)jteneyck Wrote: That is a problem with many things.  Even solid wood surfaces will get dented if you only use a few pyramids and the item is heavy.  The solution is to use more pyramids to distribute the load out over a greater number of points.  But for a door like you have you also could drive screws into the ends and use those to hand the door on your sawhorses.  That's my typical approach for man doors. It makes it easy to flip the door over, too.  

John

I was using a table.  But I do have saw horses and I might try that for the finish coats.
That's a shame about the quality. Want to speed up painting? Hang it and use a roller, then use a brush for the recessed areas.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I too always screw 4 screws in the ends of a door and rest them on work tables or saw horses. easier to flip[ when you want to do both sides of door too.
John T.
I had it resting on a 30" x 60" folding table.  I will try the saw horses next.  But the quality of the door really sucks.
"Buy Cheap, Buy twice."

Bill
(08-24-2020, 11:54 AM)Bill Bob Wrote: "Buy Cheap, Buy twice."

Bill

Hollow core doors have always been cheap, but they have been serviceable.  In this case I feel they so completely cheapened the product that it is not really a serviceable door.
I do the nail or screws in the ends of the door trick as well but if doing more than one door I will spray it. Much better results by spraying, way faster and much less frustration than using a brush with allot of todays paint that doesn't flow well. If using oil based paint I don't mind brushing as much as it's allot easier to work with than waterbased paint.