Thanks Derek Cohen
Last month Derek posted a table build: https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7356264

His design inspired me to build this hall table for my daughter.  I kept the dimensions very similar including the 3 degree side-splay of the legs but I radiused the ends of the tabletop instead of the long edges and I tapered the legs a little more (down to 5/8 inches.)

The base is oak with 3 coats of Minwax Polyshades Espresso thinned with mineral spirits to become a wiping varnish.  Then clear coated with polyurethane.  

The top is figured quarter-sawn oak that I book matched.  A small knot appeared as I planed it and I had to decide if getting rid of the knot was more important than keeping the bookmatch.  The bookmatch won so I filled the knot with epoxy (tinted black).  The top got a coat of boiled linseed oil, then 3 coats of satin poly.

[Image: 50263819712_00c7dbf0d8_c.jpg]

[Image: 50263819687_1d3956ff2c_c.jpg]

I cut a cove on the underside of the tabletop to lighten the look.  Now it has an apparent thickness of 1/2 inch.

[Image: 50263634741_c464c6677c_c.jpg]

This is a better shot of the figured top just prior to spraying the third and final coat of satin poly.

[Image: 50262977603_cdacb2f96a_c.jpg]

Thanks for looking and thanks again to Derek.

Mike
Nice job Mike!  I especially like the contrast and the taper of the legs.  The top looks great.  Glad you kept the knot.

Lonnie
That is absolutely gorgeous.
Very nice work indeed!
Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Video 
Nicely done. I really like the top.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
I actually like the character the knot gives the top, I don't think it detracts from the beauty of your work at all.  Great job all around.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(08-24-2020, 03:20 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Nice job Mike!  I especially like the contrast and the taper of the legs.  The top looks great.  Glad you kept the knot.

Lonnie

What Lonnie said.  
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Very nice. Love the design and the top is gorgeous
Thank you all for the kind responses.  

Mike
Beautiful job Mike!