Pantorouter vs Domino.
  Re: Pantorouter vs Domino. by jstraw (The price of a Panto...)
If this is in your area looks like there's a Domino XL being sold in an Estate sale.  Along with some other really nice tools

https://www.estatesales.net/NY/Ontario/14519/2621562
  Re: RE: Pantorouter vs Domino. by Maple Leaf (John Tenyk's Horizon...)
(08-28-2020, 07:36 PM)Maple Leaf Wrote: John Tenyk's Horizontal Router Mortiser is the cat's meow. It's a bargain that will do 98% of what a JDS Pantarouter will do at half the price of a Domino. He'll deliver to your door well packaged and including a good Bessey clamp, a Whiteside 1/4" carbide spiral bit and a safety paddle switch ready for your router. 

This isn't a kit. It's a completely built machine with a base, a sliding table and a workable hold down system, all in sealed Baltic birch. You can unbox it and cut mortises in the time it takes you to hang a router on it. Dust collection is quite reasonable - about 80% using your vacuum and a $40 silicone adaptor. 

I leave mine setup consuming around 30" square by 16" high (I'm guessing; ping me if it's critical). Tear-down is simple: lift off the table; remove the router from it's fixed base which stays attached to the mortiser ideally; and, lastly move the base to wherever you want to store it. But you'll still need to store that same package. I have a funky stand below my right side table saw extension. The mortiser normally lives on top, but it's pretty quick to move it under the table if necessary 

Placing it on the saw table puts it a a good working height. You should ideally be able to work on two contiguous sides plus have reachable access to the back. But that's required no matter what your gizmo of choice.

I've owned several bargain machine mortising setups over the years, and they were all raggedy assed. I have a half dozen routers and more exotic bases than I'd like to admit to, but I still prefer to cut mortises by hand if it's appropriate, and I like to be able to mix them with John's machine cut variant as called for.

My only affiliation with John is on Woodnet. He hides his light, definitely not a marketing guy. He provided invaluable insight into Grizzly's 636 bandsaw. That's also the cat's meow - easily the best medium sized resaw machine in the current market. I had to hunt him down to buy one of his machines. But he's the real deal, and he builds a great machine.

dp

Another vote for John's Horizontal Router Mortiser. It's well designed and is made with quality materials. As was mentioned earlier, the price is very affordable, especially when you consider its function and precision. One of the advantages of using a machine such as this is that since it uses loose tenons, you can cut all material to final length before mortising; pretty convenient IMO. 

In full disclosure John is a friend but the mortiser is his alone. 

Doug
(08-28-2020, 07:36 PM)Maple Leaf Wrote: John Tenyk's Horizontal Router Mortiser is the cat's meow. 

I don't have one but a friend of mine does, and he agrees with your assessment.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
  Re: RE: Pantorouter vs Domino. by jussi (If this is in your a...)
I know this has been asked before, and there was much speculation but I haven’t heard a definitive answer.

Does anyone know when Festools patent runs out on the domino?

I’d like to have a 700 to go with my 500 but for the minimal use it would see, would probably buy the knockoff rather than festool brand.
I do not know, but my 500 was (well) used when I bought it and it's dated 2007. So they are at least 13 years old.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
DF500 was released in 2007, DF700 some years later. If they hold multiple patents as well as extensions, it could be another 10 years or more before we'd see any "clones" in the market?

Simon
  Re: RE: Pantorouter vs Domino. by fredhargis ([quote='Maple Leaf' ...)
(08-29-2020, 05:37 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I don't have one but a friend of mine does, and he agrees with your assessment.

I'd be curious as well and wonder if they can sell it significantly less and still duplicate the quality of the tool.   A few years ago someone on FOG (maybe even a festool employee) posted a pic of the Dominos internals and explained how complicated it was and how tight the tolerances had to be.
  Re: RE: Pantorouter vs Domino. by jussi ([quote='fredhargis' ...)
The tight tolerances is a good point. A poorly designed or executed machine plus user issues could render a very bad domino joint, defeating the purpose of using the machine. It's not like a cordless drill or ROS that you could still get your job done even though the quality of the tool concerned might be second rate.

If I really needed an xl for an important project, I wouldn't wait, but get it and finish the project. Wait a couple of years (letting the annual price increases do their wonder), if necessary and sell it with any price difference treated as rental cost.

Simon
  Re: RE: Pantorouter vs Domino. by jussi (If this is in your a...)
(08-28-2020, 09:35 PM)jussi Wrote: If this is in your area looks like there's a Domino XL being sold in an Estate sale.  Along with some other really nice tools

https://www.estatesales.net/NY/Ontario/14519/2621562

I've been to estate sales like that (as recent as two years ago). That's why I promised myself I wouldn't get a new machine unless I planned to sell it soon as it saw little use in my shop. And I wouldn't leave behind collections like that for my family to handle. I will sell all my tools (save those for house keeping) when I don't even do at least one decent furniture project a year (making a box or some picture frames is not considered one of such projects in my book), whether out of health reasons/age or due to lack of interest/demand.

Simon
  Re: RE: Pantorouter vs Domino. by Handplanesandmore ([quote='jussi' pid='...)
There's an XL for sale on Sawmill Creek.  

John