Pantorouter vs Domino.
Well Jstraw. I'm glad you got a domino and other good stuff at the estate sale. At least they went to someone that will enjoy them.
But it's a good reminder.. we can't plan our own death, it's going to surprise most of us, it's a good idea to get what we done in life done while we can.. whether that's making our dream bench or whatever..
(08-28-2021, 08:39 PM)jstraw Wrote: I kicked the can down the road over the past year, until today.  Went to a local estate sale that included a fully stocked, really nice shop.   I was 5th, but the line was 40 deep at the shop door when they opened at 9am.  While most ran to claim the Sawstop, I ran for the Domino 500 and the systainer of biscuits.  Ended up with the 500, dominos, all cutters, support bracket, cross stops, and trim stops for a reasonable price.  Also picked up the CT26 dust extractor to match. Unfortunately,  the green clashes with all my old Delta grey.

The Domino and a CT Mini are the only green in my shop.  I used a bunch of dominos on my current project and really like it.  The CT works great with my Bosch sanders, no adapter needed.  I may go for a track saw someday if I find a decent used or recon one.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
If a Patorouter would work for you, then I suggest that you spend some time talking to John TenEyck before spending any money.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
The Pantorouter seems like a stationary machine.  I would hate to use it for large cabinet work.  Big pieces of lumber would seem difficult to handle on this machine.

The domino would be easier for working with large pieces of lumber.

For cabinet work, I chose the CMT dowel jig.  It is a dedicated sheet goods dowel jig and for wider panels it is faster than a domino.  And of course, dowels are cheaper than dominoes.  And the jigs cost less than $400.00 including shipping from German (Amazon.de).  It is not imported to the USA.  Amazon.de (Germany) offers English translation, reasonable shipping costs and use of your regular Amazon account.

I've been using a drill, but a router with a 14mm bushing will work just as well.  The article is by IGM tools, which re-labels the CTM jig with their brand name.  

https://www.igmtools.com/articles/step-b...roduction/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-31-2021, 10:11 AM)Cooler Wrote: The Pantorouter seems like a stationary machine.  I would hate to use it for large cabinet work.  Big pieces of lumber would seem difficult to handle on this machine.

For cabinet work, I chose the CMT dowel jig.  It is a dedicated sheet goods dowel jig and for wider panels it is faster than a domino.  And of course, dowels are cheaper than dominoes.  And the jigs cost less than $400.00 including shipping from German (Amazon.de).  It is not imported to the USA.  Amazon.de (Germany) offers English translation, reasonable shipping costs and use of your regular Amazon account.

I've been using a drill, but a router with a 14mm bushing will work just as well.  The article is by IGM tools, which re-labels the CTM jig with their brand name.  

That's a neat looking jig with a much more palatable prince than the Domino.  I'm curious about how it would be faster than a Domino in wide panels though.  It looks like you would have to clamp and un-clamp it from the board to move it down the panel.  Domino would just move down with the user to the next mark.  I don't have either so no dog in the fight, just curious.
(08-31-2021, 10:11 AM)Cooler Wrote: The Pantorouter seems like a stationary machine.  I would hate to use it for large cabinet work.  Big pieces of lumber would seem difficult to handle on this machine.

Sorry, no doweling jig will be faster than a Domino.  Just not possible.  And for smaller work where it's easy to take the work to the machine, the PantoRouter, my horizontal router mortiser, or the Multirouter will beat the pants of any doweling jig for both speed and ease of use.  The only advantage of doweling jigs is lower cost, although some of them cost almost as much as my machine.  If I were on a tight budget I'd buy the best doweling jig I could afford and just accept it's limitations.  With a little higher budget my machine offers impressive versatility.  And if you have a generous budget the Domino is pretty sweet for cutting mortises, though it lacks the versatility of my machine, the PantoRouter, and the Multirouter, the later two being equally or more expensive still.  

John