Pantorouter vs Domino.
(09-01-2020, 11:16 AM)Cooler Wrote: Tom Silva, of This Old House uses Festool's entire product line.  Perhaps he gets these for free from the manufacturer.  I don't know.  But he uses the Domino.  He has always impressed me with his skills and knowledge.  I would take that as a very good recommendation for the Domino.

I enjoyed Norm Abram for so many years, I struggle some with Tommy when it comes to woodworking.
(09-01-2020, 11:16 AM)Cooler Wrote: Tom Silva, of This Old House uses Festool's entire product line.  Perhaps he gets these for free from the manufacturer.  I don't know.  But he uses the Domino.  He has always impressed me with his skills and knowledge.  I would take that as a very good recommendation for the Domino.

You think?

John
(09-01-2020, 02:19 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You think?

John

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh and
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Not only does he get them free, but my guess is that they also pay a handsome fee to TOH and the primary players, Silva being one of course.

Doug
I don't know if Tom is Festool (I don't  quite watch TOH), but Norm was surely Porter Cable, Delta etc.

Unlike tools like the tracksaws, sanders or even the kapex, the domino is in a different class-more a furniture making tool. If I were to look for someone to showcase (ie promote) that machine, Tom of TOH wouldn't be my first or second choice. Other Toms like Tom Mclaughlin or Tommy Mac who are furniture makers are a better fit.

Simon
(09-01-2020, 09:18 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I don't know if Tom is Festool (I don't  quite watch TOH), but Norm was surely Porter Cable, Delta etc.

Unlike tools like the tracksaws, sanders or even the kapex, the domino is in a different class-more a furniture making tool. If I were to look for someone to showcase (ie promote) that machine, Tom of TOH wouldn't be my first or second choice. Other Toms like Tom Mclaughlin or Tommy Mac who are furniture makers are a better fit.

Simon

Just an FYI, Festool is all over TOH. Almost any tool Tom uses is green.

Doug
(09-01-2020, 09:18 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I don't know if Tom is Festool (I don't  quite watch TOH), but Norm was surely Porter Cable, Delta etc.

Simon

Norm was surprise speaker at a Festool connect even a few years back at a home show in RI.  I have an Norm autographed festool tote!

Laugh

And I happened to bump into him a year or so later while wearing a Festool t-shirt.  We chatted for 30-40 minutes.  Norm is absolutely a Festool fan as well.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(09-02-2020, 01:51 PM)FireWood Wrote: Norm was surprise speaker at a Festool connect even a few years back at a home show in RI.  I have an Norm autographed festool tote!

Laugh

And I happened to bump into him a year or so later while wearing a Festool t-shirt.  We chatted for 30-40 minutes.  Norm is absolutely a Festool fan as well.

That was in 2013. Lucky you.

Norm would've been a better fit than Tom S. to be a poster boy for the domino, too. I could only imagine if the domino had been invented in his time, he'd have been dominoing instead pocket screwing all the time in his show. Needless to say, he'd be kapexing rather than using the RAS.

Simon

Simon

I wish Tommy Mac's show would come back.  He made some great projects.
On year update (almost exactly a year since I posted this question):

I kicked the can down the road over the past year, until today.  Went to a local estate sale that included a fully stocked, really nice shop.   I was 5th, but the line was 40 deep at the shop door when they opened at 9am.  While most ran to claim the Sawstop, I ran for the Domino 500 and the systainer of biscuits.  Ended up with the 500, dominos, all cutters, support bracket, cross stops, and trim stops for a reasonable price.  Also picked up the CT26 dust extractor to match. Unfortunately, the green clashes with all my old Delta grey.

Sad part was you could tell the owner had built a dream shop in recent years and didn't live long enough to enjoy it. It was bitter sweet to pick up his unused plans and vises for a Benchcrafted workbench he didn't have an opportunity to build.  New workbench has just moved up the priority list.
John