Forest Sharpening Service PSA
I've never sent a blade out to get serviced until my WW2 40 tooth needed some work.  The red blades have been my go to and I just used them until I tossed them or made scrapers out of 'em.  Several broken carbides and others were pretty worn. I thought the blade was toast or at least would cost an amount that was close enough to a new one that I should scrap it.  I sent it (WW2 40 tooth) to Forest just to see with the instructions to call me with an estimate.  I didn't hear anything for a couple weeks-not surprised with Covid and such.  Anyway, last week my blade made it back to me.  Sharp as can be with a bunch of new tips.  Pretty much back to new.  There were at least a dozen and a half tips that were replaced.  Shipped well and in their wax wrapping and cardboard box. 

Total cost?  $39.00.  27 to sharpen and 12 to ship-no charge for replacing a bunch to tips.

Pretty good service.

I just bought a forest rip blade to add to the arsenal.

Easy process.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  I steered clear of the spendy blades because I thought sharpening was going to be a PITA.  It wasn't.  Easy peasy.
-brew
Good to hear. I never thought much of the Forrest blades. I may have to change my mind.

I appreciate the honest post.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Yeah-I do not know if they are worth the money-that is relative. Made in USA is a selling point for me. I have an Amana 40 tooth on my saw now and it does a fine job at half the price of the WW2 40 tooth. I leave it on because I won't cry quite as much if I hit a nail or my neighbor brings over a 2x4 to rip that has been sitting on the ground for 20 years.
-brew
You got some kind of deal , goodwill , or were mistaken about how many teeth were replaced.  Their rack rate for what you described should have been $115. 

All the good national sharpening services make it that easy.   They can't match that pricing replacing 18 teeth though.

I have a couple of forrest blades and while very good, I don't find the cuts near as good as ridge carbide or even the freud fusion.   The fusion is almost half the price too.   A lot depends on the saw and the material being cut, so YMMV.
Definitely replaced. I do not know what I hit but they were beyond repair and replaced.
I am going to try Ridge on my next purchase. I actually had some in a cart not long ago and just didn't pull the trigger. Probably the 8 inch finger joint set or the 10 inch flat top...
-brew
My heart sank when I saw the subject of this post.  I thought maybe you had trouble with their service.

Yesterday, I dropped off my two Forrest WWII blades at the USPS.  I've always sent them back to Forrest for sharpening.  The old one has seen pretty heavy usage for 20+ years.  I've had it sharpened 4 or 5 times.  Over the years I've had a couple teeth replaced. I thought they charged me a couple bucks, but I might have been wrong.  

I bought a new one at a sale, and hit a nail within the first couple of uses.  
Upset
Upset

I've been using a couple of Freud blades, probably about 10 years old.  They are so much noisier than the Forrest.
For those that hate their forrest blades, send them my way. I mostly find guys with issues with them dont even own them.

I do have a 12" ridge carbide dado stack for the RAS. Its ral nice too.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Geez I just remembered I send a dado set off over 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything from them.
(08-30-2020, 10:40 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: For those that hate their forrest blades, send them my way. I mostly find guys with issues with them dont even own them.

I do have a 12" ridge carbide dado stack for the RAS. Its ral nice too.

Ridge Carbide makes a very good blade as well, and also does excellent resharpening work.  At the time it was slightly cheaper than forrest, I got mine at a woodworker's show years ago, still going strong.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Maybe I'm living under a rock. This is the first thread I've ever read where someone said he didn't like Forrest blades. I find them to be excellent blades. I've never had an issue with any of them. I've tried Freud Fusion blades as well. They are nice, but I think the Forrest blades (full kerf) are more vibration tolerant.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill