Would like to try some Shaker boxes
I'm getting kind of bored, and I think learning something new would help.  There is plenty of on line help but if there is a "must have' book I would appreciate that info. I lack a band saw which will limit my initial sizes but I do have a wide belt sander, so that, together with my table saw should get me started. Any advice on where to pick up a boiling container? How about a two burner hot plate?

Thanks!
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(08-31-2020, 11:22 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: I'm getting kind of bored, and I think learning something new would help.  There is plenty of on line help but if there is a "must have' book I would appreciate that info. I lack a band saw which will limit my initial sizes but I do have a wide belt sander, so that, together with my table saw should get me started. Any advice on where to pick up a boiling container? How about a two burner hot plate?

Thanks!

John Wilson's book. He also sells materials like pre-sliced cherry, forms and the little copper tacks.

http://www.shakerovalbox.com/

http://www.shakerovalbox.com/online-stor...-p49526268

http://www.shakerovalbox.com/online-stor...-c12851016

Very nice guy as is his shop assistant whose name currently escapes me. Met him a few times when he has come to Kansas City Woodworkers' Guild to teach his courses. I believe he has stopped traveling to teach though.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(08-31-2020, 11:22 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: I'm getting kind of bored, and I think learning something new would help.  There is plenty of on line help but if there is a "must have' book I would appreciate that info. I lack a band saw which will limit my initial sizes but I do have a wide belt sander, so that, together with my table saw should get me started. Any advice on where to pick up a boiling container? How about a two burner hot plate?

Thanks!

Rob's advice above is right on.

John Wilson can supply everything you need except the hot plate.  He even offers boiling trays - either copper or galvanized. His website has links to all his published articles which are a wealth of info.

If I were just starting out I would order John Wilson's DVD.  It assumes you have already purchased the veneer from him or made your own.  Otherwise, it demonstrates the entire process.

The production values of the DVD are rather crude.  The video was originally recorded in the 1980's on VHS and transferred to DVD many years later.  But the info you need is in the video. 

Mike
I learned from John also, and bought supplies (tacks and patterns) from him.
I made 10-12 sets I guess. Walnut,,,cherry,,,,all needs to be straight grain material.
I made my tank from a 3' piece of guttering, and used 2 hot plates under it.
I've given all my templates and supplies to a member here, as I no longer make the boxes.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks!

Local craft-show buddy just soaks the cherry, then bends it around a heated piece of tin.  Makes a good demo, and nothing fancier than a propane torch is needed.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(08-31-2020, 01:28 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: Rob's advice above is right on.

John Wilson can supply everything you need except the hot plate.  He even offers boiling trays - either copper or galvanized. His website has links to all his published articles which are a wealth of info.

If I were just starting out I would order John Wilson's DVD.  It assumes you have already purchased the veneer from him or made your own.  Otherwise, it demonstrates the entire process.

The production values of the DVD are rather crude.  The video was originally recorded in the 1980's on VHS and transferred to DVD many years later.  But the info you need is in the video. 

Mike

For about $275 you get a kit with materials, tray, forms, tacks, instructions, etc. Enough to make a 5 (? maybe 4) box set.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
John Wilson is the go-to source for tools and some materials like the tacks. He's also put a number of resources out into the innerweb, but there are others.

My favorite is a tutorial from the rec.woodworking news group days - it might be find-able on google/deja-news.

Anyways a heating tray is pretty easy - go buy yourself a galvanized steel stud from a home improvement store, cut and bend the ends, waterproof with silicone caulk and there you are.

For a heat source, put the tray on a cheap two burner hot plate from Walmart or a thrift store, etc.

The bands themselves you can buy of course, but as you mentioned cutting them on the tablesaw is very do-able. I did it that way for a number of years before getting a bandsaw.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Plus one for John Wilson as you cant go wrong, he's the god father of "Shaker boxes".
Here's my first batch less three I already gave away. They're like potato chips. You can't make just one!

Everything said about John Wilson was spot on. He is such a gentleman! 

Although I had plenty of white oak or cherry I used yaupon holly for the sides, because it was the holly that gave me the idea in the first place. When I cut down the holly in the back yard I salvaged a couple of boards out of it. In squaring up the boards I was surprised at how flexible the cut off strips were. I decided to see if that would translate to "shaker" flexibility. Now I've got to get a larger boiler so I can try a three and a four.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(10-01-2020, 03:07 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: Here's my first batch less three I already gave away. They're like potato chips. You can't make just one!

Very nice!  
Cool

Mike