Next Project?
This little "crate"...
Rolleyes 

Is over 30 years old...and way too small, has no lid (lid is now a router bit holder) and in need of a major "update"
Seeings how I NOW have a second box of tap and dies...
Cool 

It would be nice to make a case of some sort..(the 2 large taps are 7/8"..)

Thinking about getting some 3/8" Poplar "Project Boards" and some plywood.....Make a case where these all can stand up...Maybe a drawer to hold the wrenches..

May leave the dies in a slat.   Maybe sort the taps into coarse and fine thread sizes...separate trays.   Any duplicates could be stashed into a drawer?

Maybe a shallow, latch-able lid...and some handles to move the case to where it is needed? 

That cardboard box came from my late Dad's shop/garage.  There is also a full set of Pipe thread taps....that may get stashed elsewhere...

Need to go get the lumber supplies...after Labor Day ( have other things to do that weekend)....and see what the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up can come up with....

Stand the taps up?  Or, lay them down?  
Confused
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with on this one.  I have an assortment of taps and dies that need a better home as well.
I am looking forward to seeing how you handle this solution. 

[Oops. I left the original post up to walk the dog--new old dog--and almost quoted Stav's comment upon return.]

I have a dread of laying tools flat and almost loose. They always jump and crash into an end, corner or, worse, onto the floor. The plastic kits offered don't release or never really define the size of item satisfactorily.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
You might consider standing them up in a block of wood with drilled holes.

In ascending order of thread sizes, with the correct tap drill behind them.

Handier than a monkeys' tail when you go to tap something, as the correct
tap drill size needed, is stashed right next to the tap.  

Even fancier?  Bottoming tap, plug tap, taper tap and the drill.  A buddy of mine did
that and threw in the correct drill for making a clearance hole. All carefully and
clearly labeled.  Finicky? Yeah, sorta , but it
took very little wood and paid for itself over and over again.

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Next payday will be the 3rd Wednesday of this month....THEN I can go buy a bit lumber....until then.....we have rehabs to do....
Rolleyes 

Mainly A Sargent VBM No. 408c, and a Stanley No.4,T-20(?)....The Craftsman jack will be a "Parts" plane for a couple other planes....
2 nail sets won't need much work...the dividers and caliper..

Dividers are a PEXTO 8"...not sure about the C.W.F. calipers....
Working on the Sargent for now...

Then will start up on the Stanley..

Also have a 20" panel saw to rehab.

10 ppi, skew back...D8, maybe?

Disston Medallion, at least...

Maybe by then, I can bring in a stack of lumber?
Took a little time, this evening...to clean out the old Tap & Die case....so I can toss it....cleaned up all the taps..
Winkgrin

There were even four labeled as NPT.....Pipe Thread taps....brought those 4 upstairs, and set them in the drawer with the rest of the pipe thread taps....

Then cleaned up a few handles..
Rolleyes  

That old extractor is from Bonney.....

Next Wednesday, is Payday....then I can get the 3/8" Poplar Lumber to build a case....

Need to do an inventory....and keep just the ones I can read the markings on....besides...who needs 6 taps @ 5/16" x 20?   Will pare things down to maybe one or two of each thread size..and set things up for a case....not sure about the tap drills...only have one, right now...

Stay tuned...
hmmm..1/8" x 27 NPT.....Made in USA   ACE......ever hear of it?
Well, decided a few more Dies were in order...so, at a yard sale this morning..

Spent about $2 for this "batch" of 8 Dies...Already have the Dies holder ( 2 in fact), just thought a few extra Dies would be in order...

One of these is a "split" version, with a set screw to change the size...
Sorted through the "set" of dies....13 in all!   Cleaned them up, too....

Sizes of the ones I'll keep...Have a 1/8" NPT, and a pair of 1/4 - 20 dies set aside...
#6-32 MSS by HANDY
#8-32  MSS by HANDY
3/16" -32 USS by handy
1/4"-20 USS by Handy (3!)
1/4" -20 NC by ACE
5/16"-18 NC  by ACE and, another by HANDY
3/8"-24 with set screw adjust, by ACE
7/16"- 20 NF
1/2"- 13 NC by ACE

Along with 2 die holders...

When I can get enough room to inventory all the taps ( non pipe thread ones...) I can see just how big a case I'll need to build....

Simple rule for the taps....IF I can read what size it is....toss it....keep the ones I know the size...
May just box up the pipe thread taps...and set aside...along with the 1/8" die...
Payday is this coming Wednesday....will see about some "Project Poplar"  lumber....
Yeah, yeah, yeah..pics or it didn't happen...right?  Sooo..
Rolleyes 

10 keepers, two spares, and 2 holders....the pipe thread one?
Confused 

It's staying with the taps....large one is a 1"-11-1/2 Greenfield...$$$..
Cool

Anybody threading 1/8" pipe?
Confused
When they were open, I always went to Boeing Surplus on lunch break and tried to spend under $5. They had gobs of those taps and dies. Usually in limited sizes, and nearly all with portions sheared or threads crunched. 

Some things in the Tool Crib were Stupid Expensive. The T&Ds were a dollar to $10. Junk in my mind, along with an album collection of dulled circular saws. Other things were next to free. I broke down and bought a 9-inch solid carbide drill bit for $5.  Just for self gloating. Then, there were the $300 to $500 titanium coated monster carbide mill "thingies" I got for a dollar. All I wanted were the plastic cases they were in. I suppose I could have used them for arm curling weights, but since they meant nothing to me, they weren't a gloat. Some went to Goodwill. I may still have one.

Lots of weird stuff showed up with the usual mills, etc. One week they had a 30 to 40-foot long by 4-foot square granite leveling slab. 

You'd go nuts in there Steve.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.