Delta Cruzer miter saw
I'm looking at getting a miter saw. Recently got a bonus at work and though I could really use a miter saw so I don't have to barrow one from my dad since he lives 2 hours away and with CoVid his state is on and off the travel restriction list every week. For a while I have looked at getting the DWS779 but I recently saw the Delta Cruzer 26-2251. I am working on setting up a small shop in my basement so eventually I would like to have a dedicated miter station so I don't have to move it around currently in the process of still setting everything up and building carts for some of my tools at am storing at my job. I know the Dewalt needs a good amount of room behind the slide so that is why I was looking at the Delta cause it has a slightly bigger cross cut ability but seems like it can go pretty much right up next to the wall. The Dewalt has a very good reputation and have seen Delta contractor table saws kind of be a clunker out of the box. Also the Delta has a belt driver where the Dewalt is direct I believe.

Delta does have a 5 year warranty compared to the Dewalts 3 year.

Anyone have experience with the Delta Cruzer?
I have no specific information about the Delta saw.  But specifically almost all the saws I've seen have "as cast" detents for the angle cuts.  Only the Dewalt has a stamped detent system, which will be inherently more accurate.

This review of  miter saws by Rockler does not include the Delta saw but gives a good overview.  If you have a healthy wallet the Festool is hands down the best of the lot.

https://www.rockler.com/sliding-compound...picked-bet
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-03-2020, 09:04 AM)Cooler Wrote:   If you have a healthy wallet the Festool is hands down the best of the lot.

Definitely can not afford the Festool. Nor do I think my wife would be ok with spending that much for it atleast at this time. She has said that the Festool "looks pretty"
(09-03-2020, 09:13 AM)briman87 Wrote: Definitely can not afford the Festool.  Nor do I think my wife would be ok with spending that much for it atleast at this time.  She has said that the Festool "looks pretty"

I see Tom Silva using it on This Old House (he has all of the Festool power tools).

He used to use DeWalt tools.  Perhaps they provide free tools for him to use for the exposure he gives them.

This definitely is a Festool saw.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

But this older shot is definitely a  DeWalt.

[Image: Cut-the-Legs.jpg]

I have a lot of respect for DeSilva's knowledge.  I would hope he would only use quality tools.  Obviously the DeWalt is a good saw (and much cheaper than the Festool). 

I have an older 12" DeWalt chop saw that I chose because the detents were controlled by a stamping and not by an "as cast" detent.  The as cast detents were very rough and I doubted that they would be very accurate.
Personally, I will not buy any new tool branded Delta; its just a name bought by some chinese company that they slap on product intended for big box store consumer grade tools, so in my mind they are a Ryobi-level manufacturer. They also abandon any pretense of extended support or customer service. I would be inclined to choose Dewalt or Makita, both known for standing behind their product and providing customer service. But that's just me, I tend to buy quality tools that last a long time (that being said, I would choke on buying a Festool!!).
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I wouldn't get the Delta. If I wanted a saw that style, I'd take a look at the Bosch. Not that much different, but have a few more years in production.

I would get the DeWalt. And I wouldn't waste my money on the double bevel feature.
(09-03-2020, 11:38 AM)DieselDennis Wrote: I wouldn't get the Delta. If I wanted a saw that style, I'd take a look at the Bosch. Not that much different, but have a few more years in production.

I would get the DeWalt. And I wouldn't waste my money on the double bevel feature.

I don't really need the double bevel ability as I do not see myself cutting crown moulding. But i do like the sliding part as it adds a bit more in the crosscut ability
(09-03-2020, 12:27 PM)briman87 Wrote: I don't really need the double bevel ability as I do not see myself cutting crown moulding.  But i do like the sliding part as it adds a bit more in the crosscut ability

A few years ago I bought a lightly used Craftsman radial arm saw for $100.00.  I'm sure they are cheaper now.  I have a conventional DeWalt 12" chop saw and I see no need for the sliding version.  The RAS will cut dadoes too. 

You do have to be careful with the RAS as some say it is inherently dangerous.  I have never felt that personally.  It will cut 15" wide boards.
(09-03-2020, 01:40 PM)Cooler Wrote: A few years ago I bought a lightly used Craftsman radial arm saw for $100.00.  I'm sure they are cheaper now.  I have a conventional DeWalt 12" chop saw and I see no need for the sliding version.  The RAS will cut dadoes too. 

You do have to be careful with the RAS as some say it is inherently dangerous.  I have never felt that personally.  It will cut 15" wide boards.

+1 on getting a 12" non slider, you don't lose all that much crosscut capacity; I forgot to mention Bosch as a worthy manufacturer along with Dewalt and Makita.  Sliders have too many moving parts and fall out of adjustment more often, especially cheap ones; the more pricey ones are better.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The new version 2.0 of the Delta Cruzer sliding compound miter box saw has received many favorable reviews. That said, no tool is perfect and the purchase of a tool will not transform you into a master craftsman but I’m sure this saw will put a smile on your face as you cut a perfectly good board in two. Enjoy your purchase and let us know your experience with it.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.