cutting a laminate countertop
If you can't cut it upside down then use a down cut saber saw blade or use a router and guide. I used to cut RX tops all the time with both
I've cut a few using the masking tape trick.  Never had a problem with chipping.  It's been a while, but I think I used a plywood blade, but there may be better choices these days.

I've never tried cutting one upside down, but that sounds like the surest way to prevent chipping.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

If it is already installed it may not be feasible to turn it upside down. 

In that case there are two viable options.

1.  Use a laminate hand scoring blade and and a straight edge.  Several passes over the laminate will cut entirely through the top surface.  And then cut with a circular saw. Depending upon how hard you press down on the blade it will take between 4 and 6 passes to cut through the laminate.  Since this is just 22" it will be done in just a few minutes.

2.  Cut the counter leaving about 3/16" excess material and use a router to finish it off.

If it is already installed I would use the first option.  The circular saw will come within about 2' - 3" of the back splash.  You will be able to use a utility saw to finish the cut.

https://www.amazon.com/24-212-Carbide-Ti...B004WOEUGU
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.