cutting a laminate countertop
Anyone ever do this?  We are going to put a freezer in, and the only good place to put it has a counter.  But no cabinets underneath.  It's weird.
I've done it many times.  Straight edge and a good sharp saw lade.   If you have an integral back splash then that gets tricky.

I've used a jig saw cutting shy of the line and then belt sand to the line.  A bevel laminate bit will treat the laminate edge or just sand a bevel.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Does it splinter?  This is one of the pre-laminated counters you get at the big box store, so I assume it's glued down a little better than if it was laminated in place
A picture would really help. I assume you are not just cutting laminate, but laminate glued to counter top material. And you will also need to cut up to the wall and the backsplash; all complicating factors.
hard to take a picture right now. It's a pre-laminated counter with a backsplash built in. There is a pipe behind the counter, so they just put a spacer out from the wall.  Not sure how hard it would be to move the counter, but conceivably I will be able to cut the backsplash from the back
(09-03-2020, 03:03 PM)EricU Wrote: Does it splinter?  This is one of the pre-laminated counters you get at the big box store, so I assume it's glued down a little better than if it was laminated in place

Masking tape over the cut line will help...
(09-03-2020, 03:50 PM)EricU Wrote: I will be able to cut the backsplash from the back

That's the key
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Cut it upside down and it won't chip. I used a skilsaw with a straight edge clamp.
Countertop upside down on saw horses or a bench.
Cut the back first, running your saw upwards, then cut the 25" panel
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-03-2020, 07:16 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Cut it upside down and it won't chip. I used a skilsaw with a straight edge clamp.
Countertop upside down on saw horses or a bench.
Cut the back first, running your saw upwards, then cut the 25" panel

Exactly how I do it too. The back cut is a little easy to mess up if you're not totally comfortable splitting a fine line with a skill saw and not dragging the back side of the blade. If you can clamp a straight edge on that too it's easier to make the turn from vertical to level. The tape is great! It hides the chips so they can all be revealed at once.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(09-03-2020, 02:12 PM)EricU Wrote: Anyone ever do this?  We are going to put a freezer in, and the only good place to put it has a counter.  But no cabinets underneath.  It's weird.

You could probably undercut by a 1/8 inch or less and clean up with router, strait bit and strait edge.