more cnc experimenting
Continuing to fiddle with epoxy filling small designs for coasters. 

Tested same basic design on Shaper Origin vs a cheap 3018 class CNC. Time wise, about the same to do because with the Shaper Origin, I have to stand there and run the process and change bits. Can move pretty quick but still a manual task. The 3018 is more than rigid enough to cut wood and a decent rate but to do the detail work you have bit changes and so that takes time.

So about 1/2 hour to cut either one. There are changes I can make to speed that up.

But the point was to experiment with bit sizes, managing SVG files (google for "the noun project" to see a pretty extensive repository of free and licenced images).

Fusion 360 to draw and prep file. In the case of the 3018 it also did the path planning, etc. DrufelCNC to run the 3018.

And of course I forgot to make a note which was cut with which. I was smart enough to orient the grain 90* between the two blanks but I didn't write it down!

Cherry with Alumilite polyester casting resin and dyes. Minwax Antique oil and wax topcoat.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Looks good. I have been wanting to try epoxy filling on a few things here real soon.
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
(09-04-2020, 12:19 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Continuing to fiddle with epoxy filling small designs for coasters. 

Tested same basic design on Shaper Origin vs a cheap 3018 class CNC. Time wise, about the same to do because with the Shaper Origin, I have to stand there and run the process and change bits. Can move pretty quick but still a manual task. The 3018 is more than rigid enough to cut wood and a decent rate but to do the detail work you have bit changes and so that takes time.

So about 1/2 hour to cut either one. There are changes I can make to speed that up.

But the point was to experiment with bit sizes, managing SVG files (google for "the noun project" to see a pretty extensive repository of free and licenced images).

Fusion 360 to draw and prep file. In the case of the 3018 it also did the path planning, etc. DrufelCNC to run the 3018.

And of course I forgot to make a note which was cut with which. I was smart enough to orient the grain 90* between the two blanks but I didn't write it down!

Cherry with Alumilite polyester casting resin and dyes. Minwax Antique oil and wax topcoat.
And I should point out that the small detail loss at the base of the tea/coffee cup on one was due to my sanding (used an up-cut bit) and not the fault of either CNC. Got distracted and somehow the detail got caught in a hole of the ROS sanding pad and was pulled off. If that happens again I'll remove from opposite side to maintain symetry.

Live and learn (also, the horizontal grain orientation is better for supporting the little details so another learning opportunity).
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin