Help with Oil Stone ID Needed

Can anyone help me identify this stone?

It is around 7 ¾” long and 1 ¾” wide. 

It is a factory made box with box joints. The label on the top is not clean and it is difficult if not impossible to read. My Pike stone has a label inside the cover but nothing on the outside.

I have compared it to a known Pike Lily White that is similar in color.

I have cleaned it and begun to flatten it and have used it a little. It is comparable to the Pike stone as far as sharpening.

The stone itself is different than the pike. It seems to be more translucent. It is the color of beach sand and has a lot of small white clusters in it. There are also darker areas that are more amber in color those are spread evenly around the stone. They seem to reflect the light a little

If it were a piece of wood I would compare it to very tight bird’s eye maple.
If it were a cheese I would compare it to a Blue.
If it were a sharpening stone I would call it a …………….

What appears to be a crack is just an area that seems to be more porous and it absorbed more grim that is now difficult to remove. I like it. It continues into the flattened area and it practically disappears at that point. It does not absorb any liquid any different than the rest of 
the stone.

The stone seems to be more translucent than that Pike stone.

The stone is glued to the base.
I don’t know what to make of the vey clean inside of the lid. Was there a lable there? I don’t see evidence of a label.

The label on the cover looks a little like the “KB jr Woodworkers Friend” stone. I am going to compare my label to the pictures of the KB that I found online.

Can anyone provide any more info?

I thought I'd stop here before heading over to the folks at Badger and Blade.

Mark
(09-04-2020, 08:26 AM)sawnuts Wrote: Can anyone help me identify this stone?

It is around 7 ¾” long and 1 ¾” wide. 

It is a factory made box with box joints. The label on the top is not clean and it is difficult if not impossible to read. My Pike stone has a label inside the cover but nothing on the outside.

I have compared it to a known Pike Lily White that is similar in color.

I have cleaned it and begun to flatten it and have used it a little. It is comparable to the Pike stone as far as sharpening.

The stone itself is different than the pike. It seems to be more translucent. It is the color of beach sand and has a lot of small white clusters in it. There are also darker areas that are more amber in color those are spread evenly around the stone. They seem to reflect the light a little

If it were a piece of wood I would compare it to very tight bird’s eye maple.
If it were a cheese I would compare it to a Blue.
If it were a sharpening stone I would call it a …………….

What appears to be a crack is just an area that seems to be more porous and it absorbed more grim that is now difficult to remove. I like it. It continues into the flattened area and it practically disappears at that point. It does not absorb any liquid any different than the rest of 
the stone.

The stone seems to be more translucent than that Pike stone.

The stone is glued to the base.
I don’t know what to make of the vey clean inside of the lid. Was there a lable there? I don’t see evidence of a label.

The label on the cover looks a little like the “KB jr Woodworkers Friend” stone. I am going to compare my label to the pictures of the KB that I found online.

Can anyone provide any more info?

I thought I'd stop here before heading over to the folks at Badger and Blade.

Mark

In a dark room, hold a flashlight up to the stone and see if it "glows"..if it does, it is a fine Washita...bordering on being as smooth as a translucent Arkansas hone...They are both composed of Novaculite but the Washita has a coarser matrix and cuts faster but not as smoothly...it will not leave as polished an edge as the Arkansas. The very best Arkansas hones are very translucent but their ability to "cut" can vary from stone to stone, even from the same mine....if you have found a good one...hang onto it...If you have as many Novaculite stones as I have, you will know a "good" one when you use it..
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

[attachment=29389]I did test as you described last night but I forgot to include the pic.

I'm still thinking the label is a KB Jr stone. I can make out the margin on the label and 2 dark red areas that coincide with th "Woodworkers delight".

I like nat stones but have only had a few. I do have a Pike Translucent and this one is not near as clear. It does compare with my Pike Lilly White though.

Are you familiar with Karl Bracher (stones)? German I think. He may have just been a reseller that put his label on stones mined elsewhere. If that is the case it is more than likely not a novaculite from the US. I have a Coticule but I'm not familiar with stones from Europe apart from that. Maybe there are novaculite deposits in Europe..\

Still learning,

Thanks 

Mark
(09-04-2020, 02:24 PM)sawnuts Wrote: I did test as you described last night but I forgot to include the pic.

I'm still thinking the label is a KB Jr stone. I can make out the margin on the label and 2 dark red areas that coincide with th "Woodworkers delight".

I like nat stones but have only had a few. I do have a Pike Translucent and this one is not near as clear. It does compare with my Pike Lilly White though.

Are you familiar with Karl Bracher (stones)? German I think. He may have just been a reseller that put his label on stones mined elsewhere. If that is the case it is more than likely not a novaculite from the US. I have a Coticule but I'm not familiar with stones from Europe apart from that. Maybe there are novaculite deposits in Europe..\

Still learning,

Thanks 

Mark
Never heard of Karl Bracher and like you, I think he may have just been a distributor, not a miner...Mine owners, like Swiss watch makers, would have put Adolph Hitler's name on their stones if he bought enough of them. I have had quite a few coticules {and sold them} and some Eschers and IMO, they rank right up there with the best Japanese water stones...But they are not ALL equal...some just cut better than others.
Rolleyes
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset