Sharpening a LV Lipped Brad Point Bit
Thank you all for your insightful and helpful feedback. I will try your suggestions and see if I can "learn" to sharpen these bits.

And thank you @Rob Lee for your generous offer. This is precisely the reason many of us are loyal Lee Valley customers. 

Cheers and Thank you all once again.

Stay safe and healthy.
(09-06-2020, 10:53 PM)Teak Wrote: Thank you all for your insightful and helpful feedback. I will try your suggestions and see if I can "learn" to sharpen these bits.

And thank you @Rob Lee for your generous offer. This is precisely the reason many of us are loyal Lee Valley customers. 

Cheers and Thank you all once again.

Stay safe and healthy.

Yes
Yes
Yes

Doug

P.S. "People buy from people they like" - it never changes!
(09-06-2020, 08:53 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: So - Send me your bit, and I’ll send you a new one....and I’ll see if we can resharpen it....and you won’t have to wait.

Email me at RLee@leevalley.com with your address, and I’ll get one sent right away.....

Cheers,

Rob

I can see everyone grabbing a broken or worn bit from their tool infirmary and emailing Rob. I have some HF carbides, even new, I would love to have fixed. It's good (hopefully) we have integrity and respect the generosity of Rob on an individual basis. Or, I can imagine seeing his technicians cringing now. [No emo.]
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(09-07-2020, 10:49 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I can see everyone grabbing a broken or worn bit from their tool infirmary and emailing Rob. I have some HF carbides, even new, I would love to have fixed. It's good (hopefully) we have integrity and respect the generosity of Rob on an individual basis. Or, I can imagine seeing his technicians cringing now. [No emo.]

You raise a very valid point and something I have been debating too. Although Rob has made a generous offer, as a matter of principle I am deeply conflicted about taking him up on it. If this were a brand new bit with damage then I would (and Lee Valley too) exchange it in a heartbeat. But this is different, it broke in use due to hidden metal. It is cost of doing business (or hobby in most of our case).

I gave a shoutout to Rob because I saw a potential business opportunity for Lee Valley to offer resharpening of these particular bits (especially the larger sizes). I have a bunch of them and they cut beautifully in wood. However, when you examine them closely the geometry of lips is not easy to repair. Of course shop costs related to labor and setup factor in any such ventures so they are the best judges of whether it makes business and economic sense. 

But thank you for raising this point as it has been bothering me as well. Writing it out has been a bit of catharsis for me.  I have decided to try and repair the bit using the links and suggestions you all have posted. If I screw it up, I will grind of the lips and use my drill doctor and turn it into a twist drill bit.

Feel better already.
Smile

Cheers.
(09-06-2020, 09:05 PM)iclark Wrote: and just one of the reasons that LV is our go-to source for so many things.
Yes

Yes
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset