Sharpening a LV Lipped Brad Point Bit
Can anyone here point me to a good tutorial to re-sharpen a LV Lipped Brad Point Bit (see link HSS Lipped Imperial Brad-Point Drills). I hit hidden metal while using my 1/2" bit a couple of days back and it chewed up the lip tips. If it was a smaller size, I would just junk it and buy a new one. However, a new 1/2" is CDN $28.50 and it would be a shame to throw one away. These are my go to bits for wood and I am really hoping I can salvage it.

@RobLee if you read this, has Lee Valley considered offering "re-sharpening service" on larger sizes (say above 7/16" - crosses the CDN $20 barrier")? I know shop cost will come into play but even $15 for resharpening beats $30 for a new bit.

Thanks all

Work safe and stay healthy.

Cheers
I use a very small flat (rounded on the back) file and file the insides of the bit, forming new side cutters.
Time and patience....
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

This link goes to a Fine Woodworking video by Michael Fortune. He's turning old twist drill bits into brad points but you can get your cues from his process. You just need a grinder and a decent tool rest. You actually have a brad point that probably started as a twist. LV shapes brad points from good twist bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcwOBL0t...oodworking

The FWW method works for badly bungled scoring tips and broken centers. Probably, spade bits, too. Or if only slightly damaged, Stan's hand method should be learned because it's good for resharpening worn bits.....
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(09-05-2020, 04:44 PM)Teak Wrote: Can anyone here point me to a good tutorial to re-sharpen a LV Lipped Brad Point Bit (see link HSS Lipped Imperial Brad-Point Drills). I hit hidden metal while using my 1/2" bit a couple of days back and it chewed up the lip tips. If it was a smaller size, I would just junk it and buy a new one. However, a new 1/2" is CDN $28.50 and it would be a shame to throw one away. These are my go to bits for wood and I am really hoping I can salvage it.

@RobLee if you read this, has Lee Valley considered offering "re-sharpening service" on larger sizes (say above 7/16" - crosses the CDN $20 barrier")? I know shop cost will come into play but even $15 for resharpening beats $30 for a new bit.

Thanks all

Cheers

If you have a Dremel with some small stones it is doable..It will take a steady hand, but using a 1/8" stone or diamond burr, just dress the bit the way it was sharpened at the factory, following the same angles. Be sure to clamp the bit so it is rock steady and go slowly with the Dremel, trying to follow the same configuration with the grinding hone as when the drill bit was new...It could also be done with a cut-off wheel on a right-angle grinder but will take more finesse because of the speed and cutting ability of the wheel...Just remember that "nothing ventured...nothing gained"...the drill bit is no good the way it is now...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

One of the tips of my 1/2" Lee Valley lipped brad point bit snapped off in some hard blackwood. I ordered a new one and it arrived with a damaged tip, but I think I've salvaged it. I wish Lee Valley would offer a resharpening service for these bits. They are my best bits, but replacing them is expensive.
(09-05-2020, 04:44 PM)Teak Wrote: (Snip)

Thanks all

Cheers

Hi,

We make these bits on two machines....one a custom built CNC which feeds bits using a magazine, and the second - a 5-axis machine loaded manually. The first, we couldn’t use for sure....but the second we could - assuming we could get the timing right (have to be running that bit).

A better option would be to just swap it out for another bit...a refurbished one....then you don’t have to wait, and we wouldn’t have to track a single bit through the shop.

So - Send me your bit, and I’ll send you a new one....and I’ll see if we can resharpen it....and you won’t have to wait.

Email me at RLee@leevalley.com with your address, and I’ll get one sent right away.....

Cheers,

Rob
I recently switched over to a set Fisch brad bits and cannot believe the performance over the twist bits and cheap brad bits I was using before. These are quite a bit more expensive than Fisch. 
Do they up the level of performance even more than a Fisch?
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
I have been using this set of Brad Point Bits for around 20 years: it has served me well. Made in USA, and available via this link:

Fuller Brad Point Bit Set

(09-06-2020, 08:53 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Hi,

We make these bits on two machines....one a custom built CNC which feeds bits using a magazine, and the second - a 5-axis machine loaded manually. The first, we couldn’t use for sure....but the second we could - assuming we could get the timing right (have to be running that bit).

A better option would be to just swap it out for another bit...a refurbished one....then you don’t have to wait, and we wouldn’t have to track a single bit through the shop.

So - Send me your bit, and I’ll send you a new one....and I’ll see if we can resharpen it....and you won’t have to wait.

Email me at RLee@leevalley.com with your address, and I’ll get one sent right away.....

Cheers,

Rob

An "offer you can't refuse"........doesn't get any better than that!!!!!!!!!!!
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-06-2020, 11:11 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .................................
An "offer you can't refuse"........doesn't get any better than that!!!!!!!!!!!
Winkgrin

and just one of the reasons that LV is our go-to source for so many things.
Yes
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.