window channel balance
I have single hung windows in my house.  Some of them are hard to open and close.  I think that I need new channel balances for them.  I do not want to remove the window until I have the new balances in hand.  How can I find out which balances I need? Thanks
I had to re-mount mine a couple of days ago because the upper mounting screw stripped out and the balance spring came loose and lost it's spring tension. You might check first to see if that is your issue. I found a couple of YouTube videos that helped me figure out how they are removed and installed. If your windows are removable, that may simplify it. Mine are not. You will probably need to remove the springs first and then take one to a window dealer/installer in order to find the correct replacement. Re-installing mine was a matter of sliding them down between the window and sash, putting in the anchor screw at the top, raising the window all the way up, grab the spiral rod at the bottom with a hooked tool and giving it 8-10 twists, and then make sure the end bracket is screwed in place or, if it doesn't have one, make sure the end pegs in the bottom of the twisted rods find the proper holding slot (If like mine, you will know what I mean when you see it. It works somewhat like a coping saw blade). Hope this helps.
What kind of windows are they? Wood? Vinyl?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Check out swisco.com

https://www.swisco.com/page-id-part

You can post pics of your windows there and their associates will try to figure out the part you need based on your pictures and hopefully the model number. They also have great YouTube videos on how to dismantle/rebuild your window.

They can only do so much, though, I had to take off the top trim piece to expose the balancer and then take pictures of the numbers Andersen stamped on them that the Swisco staff deciphered. It takes a little back and forth depending on how much information you provide, but they nailed it.

Paul
Or add a spring mechanism.  This from "This Old House".

https://youtu.be/NhfZzYLvcPQ

There are several styles available: https://www.pullmanmfg.com/window-balanc...-balances/

Google "Sash balance replacements"

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...eplacement
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-07-2020, 01:29 PM)Willyou Wrote: I had to re-mount mine a couple of days ago because the upper mounting screw stripped out and the balance spring came loose and lost it's spring tension. You might check first to see if that is your issue. I found a couple of YouTube videos that helped me figure out how they are removed and installed. If your windows are removable, that may simplify it. Mine are not. You will probably need to remove the springs first and then take one to a window dealer/installer in order to find the correct replacement. Re-installing mine was a matter of sliding them down between the window and sash, putting in the anchor screw at the top, raising the window all the way up, grab the spiral rod at the bottom with a hooked tool and giving it 8-10 twists, and then make sure the end bracket is screwed in place or, if it doesn't have one, make sure the end pegs in the bottom of the twisted rods find the proper holding slot (If like mine, you will know what I mean when you see it. It works somewhat like a coping saw blade). Hope this helps.

Thanks Willyou. I believe my balances are pretty much like yours .  In order for me to reinsert the tube, the window must be all the way down.  Mine fastens to the window frame with a screw on the side at the top.  To reinsert the spiral rod I have to prop the window all the way up and as I push it up it swivels until it engages the slot at the top of the tube.  There is however no tension on the spiral rod.  You mention a hooked tool.  I believe that is what I need to put tension on the spiral rod.  Do you know where I can get one?  I priced having a repairman come out and they want $68.00/balance so about $170.00/window plus a $168.00 service charge.  I have at least 4 windows that need new balances so I would be looking at over $800.00 for the 4.  So its worth the effort to try and repair them myself. Thanks for your help.
Artj
Spiral balance tool
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay