Roof shingle ?
(09-14-2020, 07:09 PM)whatline Wrote: make sure the eave ply extends back  beyond The exterior walls.

having installed a few roofs in my life, including tearing a couple down to the walls and rebuilding the structure.  We've always used the radiant barrier OSB, and then plywood over the eaves, making the transition at the outer wall.

so you're saying we should run the plywood up further, or do some people not put decking down over the house?

not quite sure what you mean.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Ice and water shield is a self adhered roll to prevent ice dams. It gets stuck to the top of the roof deck. It’s about a 36” wide roll and a lot of guys install just one width. Some house wall sit further back so sometimes they need to install two 36” wide rolls at the eave. At valleys it’s usually split 18” up each side.
(09-15-2020, 06:55 PM)whatline Wrote: Ice and water shield is a self adhered roll to prevent ice dams. It gets stuck to the top of the roof deck. It’s about a 36” wide roll and a lot of guys install just one width. Some house wall sit further back so sometimes they need to install two 36” wide rolls at the eave. At valleys it’s usually split 18” up each side.

I've often wondered why the I&W shield isn't install ALL the way up the roof.  Sure it costs more and it may be overkill, but isn't it cheap insurance???
Dumber than I appear
(09-15-2020, 06:55 PM)whatline Wrote: Ice and water shield is a self adhered roll to prevent ice dams. It gets stuck to the top of the roof deck. It’s about a 36” wide roll and a lot of guys install just one width. Some house wall sit further back so sometimes they need to install two 36” wide rolls at the eave. At valleys it’s usually split 18” up each side.

I understand the part of ice and water shield, I was asking about your comment on the plywood.

We don't use ice and water shield around here that much.  We don't get any ice or snow.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(09-16-2020, 07:39 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: I've often wondered why the I&W shield isn't install ALL the way up the roof.  Sure it costs more and it may be overkill, but isn't it cheap insurance???

Because ice dams form at the gutters up to the eaves and where the roof isn't heavily insulated at over the ridge vent baffles. So it really isn't necessary higher than that.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-16-2020, 07:39 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: I've often wondered why the I&W shield isn't install ALL the way up the roof.  Sure it costs more and it may be overkill, but isn't it cheap insurance???

The roofer that did our house told me that the law in MA has changed from 3' to 6'.

I told him to do ours 9'.

He did.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
We don’t use osb. If we did I’d want plywood on the bottom too. I don’t see osb being used much at all anymore. Wonder why? Geographic..
I've been in a lot of attics and I can tell you, the coolest attics I have been in have huge gable vents vs just the ridge vents.
OSB is all I see on roofs around here anymore.

Mark

(09-16-2020, 12:32 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Because ice dams form at the gutters up to the eaves and where the roof isn't heavily insulated at over the ridge vent baffles. So it really isn't necessary higher than that.

Snipe, yes I realize they form @ the gutters, but they can back up the roof and what could it hurt to run the I&W all the way up?  I dunno...cheap peace of mind, no??
Dumber than I appear