Small box joinery question.
I'm making 4"x 4" Tic Tac Toe boards out of 3/4" plywood boards for kids in a charity. I'm attaching these to a 1 1/2 high box to store the pegs with brad nails and a glued on bottom.  I'm using 1/4" ply for the enclosure.  Since these are going to be used kids are there better ways to join these materials?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Guessing you’re butt-jointing the box?
1/4” ply is pretty easy to break.
Might be better off with box joints and even 1/2” ply for the box sides.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(09-12-2020, 09:42 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Guessing you’re butt-jointing the box?
1/4” ply is pretty easy to break.
Might be better off with box joints and even 1/2” ply for the box sides.

I’ve switched to gluing then nailing the sides to the 3/4” ply top. They’re turning out much better. I have a lot of 1/4” material so I’ll stick with that for now. Will experiment with the box joints for the bottom. Caseworkers will be taking these with them on their first visit as an icebreaker with the young client.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
First,  good on you for helping out with what sounds like  a great cause.  If you could post a photo or provide a drawing, that might help,  I am having trouble understanding what you are making.   Good idea to go with glue and brads instead of just brads,  the brads will act as clamps.   The 1/4 material will be plenty strong if you form it into a box so that it is supported on all sides , though then how would they store pegs inside?
When I do small boxes, I capture the bottom in a groove around the sides—like a drawer.
I box joint or dovetail the sides—usually box joints.
Or, I’ll miter the sides for a wraparound effect and add slipfeathers for strength.

In your case, I’d be inclined to box jointing the sides.
I don’t see box joints for the bottom though.
A picture would certainly help.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.