solved a problem today
I have an old barn I build from 4- 20' shipping containers 15 or so years ago (since I have new shop it is now scheduled for demolition).  About the time I finished it I went to an auction and bought a couple of 16' trailer loads of rough-cut lumber that had been stored for about 30 years in another old barn.

Also had a fire in my container barn several years ago so the lumber got a bit scorched in addition to the dust, etc. so sorting it out is a problem.

I'd tried pocket knife, block plane, power planer etc but nothing worked well.

Today I really needed some white oak but didn't look forward to digging through the dirt and ash in the dark and heat to find something.

Then I had an idea -- my cordless drill with a 1" spade bit would quickly cut through the dirt, ash, etc and show me a good grain sample.

Worked like a charm.  Found what I wanted and got on with finishing door.
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
It happens to me all the time, not the finding of a good way but forgetting so much to of even how I did it the day before and then come up with a new solution which might have been an old one. 
Crazy
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.