How do you use a branding iron?
Here is what I came up with:

I made it out of a 14" drawer glide and shop scraps.  That nail at the top is to hold the glide in place until you're ready to brand. I made those six consecutive brands on a piece of unfinished red oak. A high grade meat thermometer is useful also. I hold the tip of my Therm Pro on the head until it errors out at 572 degrees and then hold the brand down firmly for a count of five or six.  The cross arm is very helpful for applying even pressure and the built in play in the glide even allows you to rock it a little bit without fear of overdoing it.  There is plenty of extension left in the glide so you could even cut a hole in the base and use it on large projects.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Cut a notch the same size as the iron on a rectangular scrap. Mark center lines on the scrap and use them as a guide to position it anywhere you want to sign.

If you overheat and burn the wood, sanding will lighten the burn mark.

The image transfer...is it permanent? Anyway, it's too unstylish for me.

Simon
Was going to try it on my wife but it did not go over to well and ended up on me.  
Smirk
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That's genius Papa Jim for either versions (electric or handheld) . I have a handheld version made by another company and I have the option of using a handle or most of the time I chuck it up in my drill press. The drill press works flawlessly all the time You just got to get the brand hot.
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
(10-01-2020, 12:48 PM)JerrySats Wrote: That's genius Papa Jim for either versions (electric or handheld) .  I have a handheld version made by another company and I have the option of using a handle or most of the time I chuck it up in my drill press. The drill press works flawlessly all the time You just got to get the brand hot.

Funny! I thought of my drill press also but couldn't quiet figure out how to attach it.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Video 
You can find "water slide" paper on Amazon.com or you can get the decals made professionally.

This shows the installation:

https://youtu.be/gfK0bawWSjE

The technology is widely used in the guitar industry:  https://www.google.com/search?q=water+sl...efox-b-1-d
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.