cedar for window trim?
I'm in need of advice. The interior trim on the windows in my daughters room is deteriorating--it's on the north side and is subject to condensation. Some may just need refinishing, but some may need to be replaced. I was thinking of using cedar because it's rot resistant.  But of course there's the smell. That may dissipate, however. Also, my local menards, etc., have cedar from different sources, some quite red, but other boards, such as that used for decking, a little milder in color. Maybe that would work.
 Any guidance would be appreciated.
Cedar absolutely glows with a glossy clear finish.  You will be impressed.  But I find it easily splits. 

If you are going to paint it, I would suggest the resin trim.  It will never rot.  You do need to use 100% acrylic primer for good adhesion, but it takes paint well.

Also, Lowes and Home Depot offer solid surface material for that purpose. (the same stuff used for counter tops. But at over $300.00 per window, a bit pricey.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Solid-surface-W...4294730100
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cypress was often used in the past for problematic rot issues, especially exterior trim work. It's an option - although generally sold 4/4 rough, so you'd have to joint and plane it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Is there an advantage to using cypress over cedar? I'm not familiar with it. Plus, where the heck do I get it? (I'm in Chicago.)
Is there any way to fix the condensation issue first?  Do that, and then the wood species questions might go away.

If the trim is rotting, I think there are going to be other issues that you find when you remove that trim.

By smell, I think you mean from the deteriorating trim?  Or the smell of cedar?  The cedar smell will be covered after you put a finish coating on it.
(09-17-2020, 09:33 AM)overland Wrote: Is there an advantage to using cypress over cedar? I'm not familiar with it. Plus, where the heck do I get it? (I'm in Chicago.)

https://www.walllumber.com/soft.asp

Shipping would cost, but 4/4 at $3.25 bd/ft ain't bad.

If the UPS bundle sizes would work for you, that's not a bad way to go either....

https://www.walllumber.com/lum.asp
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Is the profile a basic one? The reason I ask, we made all kinds of profiles using PVC through our molder. Just a thought, that stuff never rots and can be painted.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I would opt for cypress over cedar. Cypress paints better, typically has fewer knots, and doesn't split as easily--just much easier to work with overall. Plus, with cedar you have to use only the heartwood if you want rot-resistance. That's true with cypress, too, but in cypress the sapwood is normally a much smaller percentage of the log than in cedar.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(09-17-2020, 09:02 AM)overland Wrote: I'm in need of advice. The interior trim on the windows in my daughters room is deteriorating--it's on the north side and is subject to condensation. Some may just need refinishing, but some may need to be replaced. I was thinking of using cedar because it's rot resistant.  But of course there's the smell. That may dissipate, however. Also, my local menards, etc., have cedar from different sources, some quite red, but other boards, such as that used for decking, a little milder in color. Maybe that would work.
 Any guidance would be appreciated.

You can get PVC trim in a variety of profiles.  It takes paint too
Everybody blamed his old man for makin him mean as a snake. When Amos Moses was a boy his daddy would use him for alligator bait!
-Jerry Reed

Larry
Sierra Forest Products in Chicago says they have Cypress.
It’s a beautiful wood and easy to work albeit very soft.

If you can’t keep the area dry—PVC is a great option.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.