cedar for window trim?
Cedar is quite soft. Cypress would be a better choice.
Wood is good. 
the majority of the trim in my own house is clear cedar, with a polymerizing oil finish.  it's beautiful and plenty durable for... trim.  if something gets scuffed, 5 minutes with a pad and another coat of oil and it's back to new.
If you have water intrusion even if it’s condensation you’re going to have mold issues. Changing the rotted trim out now is too early.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Agreed. You need to find and resolve the reason for the condensation.  Often whoever installed the windows failed to put insulation between the rough opening and window.  Windows installed before Great Foam, et al was developed are more likely to be a problem.  

John
Lots of good thoughts here. The condensation forms on the windows, which are double paned, and runs down on the trim. I'm not sure how to solve that problem except to keep refinishing the trim. In a few places there's rot and a board will have to be replaced.
(09-22-2020, 12:33 PM)overland Wrote: Lots of good thoughts here. The condensation forms on the windows, which are double paned, and runs down on the trim. I'm not sure how to solve that problem except to keep refinishing the trim. In a few places there's rot and a board will have to be replaced.

Do you have screens on the windows on the inside?  Or curtains hanging in front of the windows?  Either can cause condensation.  But the underlying problem is likely the RH is too high in your house.  

John
(09-22-2020, 01:29 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Do you have screens on the windows on the inside?  Or curtains hanging in front of the windows?  Either can cause condensation.  But the underlying problem is likely the RH is too high in your house.  

John

I've found that to be true; my bride cranks up the humidifier units too high and I complain, but I pick my battles with my bride.......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I spent my summer youth in a cottage that was all ceder, inside and out.  The floors, walls, trim, etc., all cedar.

Man I miss that smell.