Hearing protection with music - recommendation?
(09-19-2020, 07:46 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Tyler, I’ll be the Killjoy here .... you may wish to add in the cost of a SawStop as well if you want music or chat in your earmuffs.
Smile

I listen to music in my workshop, but it is only through speakers, and never a headset. I use earmuffs when running machines, and work without them. when using (unpowered) hand tools. I only hear the muted machine when running a machine. Divided attention is what leads to accidents.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'll agree. Even with the 3m Worktunes, I switch them off around the big iron. But hand sanding, planing, scraping and finishing they are great.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I just got a pair of bluetooth earbuds to use under my ear muffs.  I got them specifically to kill the drudgery of sanding with the ROS.  

I have already decided that as a rule I will never use them with any other machine.
Steve
Forgot I left my table saw running, went to clear some off cuts, felt some wind by my hand, saw the blade turning & realized I could not hear the machine running at all.

I do not recommend them using a table saw, router, or jointer. 

I now use them only when mowing the lawn.
Totally agree with Derek. 
I have the 3M HPs and they work well. But unless I am turning for long periods or sanding mindlessly, they dont get used. prefer music though regular speakers in the back ground. 
The suggestion for sawstop is worth a consideration for all of us but its a pain to upgrade the TS. Wish I had done it right the first time
Sad
The Apple wont fall;
Let's go and shake the tree.
I have purchased 180s earmuff. After I was able to sync the devices (issue was me not the directions) I was very impressed with the product. Operates as advertised and good quality sound. I have not tried the phone, just listened to music. I recommend for anyone looking for URL DELETED type of product.
Isotunes are great if you want something with a certified rating, the downside is they have a cord between the two so they tend to pull a bit as you turn your head. They also use a foam tip which can get uncomfortable after several hours of wear.

I also really like the true wireless earbuds and even the inexpensive ones have gotten better over the last couple of years.
Many now have active noise canceling to help with constant noises. And you can pop a pair of muffs over them for extremely noisy equipment.

Whether they are a safety concern is a question only you can answer, I can certainly see how they could be for some.

For me, woodworking is a hobby and I came to the understanding years ago that my fingers (which are necessary to my real job) are more important than getting the current project done. If I’m distracted enough that a little background music is going to make me unsafe I probably shouldn’t be in the shop at all, but again this is a personal decision not a one size fits all.

Duke
Also the brand of true wireless matters little, as you will probably buy a couple or more different sets looking for a good fit for your ears.
I’ve also added aftermarket foam tips to them for additional sound reduction, but this can interfere with charging them, as they generally charge in their case.