keyless chuck removal
I have two Makita cordless drills that I have had since around 2004.  They have lasted a long time but I don't want to rebuild the batteries, because I want to go to the lithium batteries.

I was going to try to save the chucks.  I might have some other uses for them.  There is a screw inside the chuck that has to be removed first.  It is reverse thread.  I am guessing it is held in with a threadlock adhesive because I cannot break the screws free.

Out on the internet some people have advised heat to break it loose.  Does anyone have any other advice or experience with this?
Steve
I have used my impact driver to break them loose, a couple times.
Before that, I put the screwdriver in, and hit the end of the handle, with a mallet, simultaneously applying twist to the handle.
Never had one I couldn't get out.
good luck.
(09-18-2020, 10:41 AM)rlnguy Wrote: I have used my impact driver to break them loose, a couple times.
Before that, I put the screwdriver in, and hit the end of the handle, with a mallet, simultaneously applying twist to the handle.
Never had one I couldn't get out.
good luck.
I put the screwdriver in, and hit the end of the handle, with a mallet

This is the way I do it also, except I hit the handle with a steel hammer for more jarring impact. Make sure the screwdriver blade fits the screw slot correctly...otherwise it may "jump" out of the slot.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I will try the screwdriver/hammer idea.

I wish they did not use slotted head screws.  I broke two screwdriver tips while using my impact driver.
Steve
Chuck up the biggest "L" shaped allen wrench that will fit in the chuck, short arm in the chuck, long arm sticking out. Lay the drill down flat/sideways on a bench. Hold down on the motor of the drill and whack the long end with a hammer.
I bought one of these when they were on clearance at LV; didn't think it would amount to much but took a chance; actually works pretty well, I use it fairly often.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...tem=CM1122
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-18-2020, 01:11 PM)Admiral Wrote: I bought one of these when they were on clearance at LV; didn't think it would amount to much but took a chance; actually works pretty well, I use it fairly often.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...tem=CM1122

Doh!  I have one of those already!  I will give that a try after hitting the end with the screwdriver/hammer.
Steve
(09-18-2020, 10:14 AM)arnman Wrote: I have two Makita cordless drills that I have had since around 2004.  They have lasted a long time but I don't want to rebuild the batteries, because I want to go to the lithium batteries.

I was going to try to save the chucks.  I might have some other uses for them.  There is a screw inside the chuck that has to be removed first.  It is reverse thread.  I am guessing it is held in with a threadlock adhesive because I cannot break the screws free.

Out on the internet some people have advised heat to break it loose.  Does anyone have any other advice or experience with this?

Can't you rebuild the batteries with lithium batteries? Alternatively, perhaps they make replacement lithium batteries for that Makita tool series.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(09-18-2020, 04:07 PM)iclark Wrote: Can't you rebuild the batteries with lithium batteries? Alternatively, perhaps they make replacement lithium batteries for that Makita tool series.

iclark,
That is a good question.  I have not looked into that.  The drills are still in perfect condition, and they were both made in the Buford GA plant (as far as I can tell).  The new Makita drills are made in China.
Steve
I just checked MTO's website. They rebuilt my batteries at least 10 years ago, and they have been great. I don't see a lithium rebuild for the nickel metal hydride batteries. But the NiMH rebuild cost is $60/battery.
Steve