Grooving in the shop
Finally got a chance to use the drawer bottom plane that I made on a project. Not exactly a drawer bottom, but I needed to cut a groove for both the lid and box bottom. I was a little worried about cutting against the grain, but with scoring the lines, it worked just fine. The front screw on the skate is removed. The hole is slightly off and with the screw inserted, the skate gets angled off. Need to figure out a fix. I will probable enlarge that screw hole and glue in a piece of wood so I can redrill the hole. 

The center groove was cut on the TS and cleaned up with a router plane. That is where the box will be cut after glue up, and walnut inserts to create a lip will be places there. 

I needed rabbets on the box bottom and lid to fit the grooves. I have had trouble in the past keeping the skew rabbet plane level, so I was committed to making the rabbets with with this plane and get them level. To my eyes, I need to keep the plane angled a bit to the left to get it to cut level. Nothing wrong with the plane, just the way I look at it. 

I will use a regular rabbet plane to do the final fitting to the grooves.
I needed rabbets on the box bottom and lid to fit the grooves. I have had trouble in the past keeping the skew rabbet plane level, so I was committed to making the rabbets with with this plane and get them level. To my eyes, I need to keep the plane angled a bit to the left to get it to cut level. Nothing wrong with the plane, just the way I look at it. ..... I will use a regular rabbet plane to do the final fitting to the grooves

I prefer a shoulder plane for the final passes.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Stanley 45 for the grooves.....Stanley #78 for the rebates.....Auburn Tool Co. 181 Skewed rebate plane to clean up rebates....Stanley #71-1/2 to clean the bottom of the grooves, IF need be.....
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-18-2020, 08:00 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I prefer a shoulder plane for the final passes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, Yes, thats what I meant, a shoulder plane. Got a few of them.
That's a beautiful plane!

I picked up a Record 043 for drawer bottom groves. So much more fun than a powered router!
In use, today...
Winkgrin

Stanley No. 45, with a #12 cutter.....

Box needed a groove to hold the 1/4" Luann Plywood bottom...1 down, 3 more grooves to go...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that