Toilet leak
I'm getting a slight leak at the base of the toilet, no leak from any hose, fitting, etc. The seal is original in 1998. What is the normal life span for the wax ring? 

Thanks

Jim
Jim
I think that wax toilet seals will last a very long time, presuming a proper installation and with no other issues creeping up.

If it was me, I'd pull that toilet and find the issue for certain.  Look for small cracks in the porcelain, look for floor structural rot/failure, etc.  Even if it just the seal, it has to be replaced as part of the remove/inspect/re-install toilet drill.
I have seen leaky wax rings in other people's houses.  It wouldn't surprise me if it was just the seal
If the toilet rocks at all, the seal will break.
(09-19-2020, 02:01 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: If the toilet rocks at all, the seal will break.

Yes

Wax rings don't bounce back.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-19-2020, 02:01 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: If the toilet rocks at all, the seal will break.

That's what confuses me. There is no rock and no reason for the ring to fail. But with my luck, it probably has.

Jim
Jim
(09-20-2020, 08:05 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: That's what confuses me. There is no rock and no reason for the ring to fail. But with my luck, it probably has.

Jim

It happens, nothing lasts forever. A swollen floor can make it leak. Imperfect installation. They're cheap.
Did you check the tank gasket? Check it when it's flushing too. If it's hard to tell, slide a paper towel between the bowl and the tank, up to the gasket. See if the paper towel gets wet.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay