'Naked' finish for Claro Walnut
So, I'm lucky enough to have a small stash of Claro on hand, and the wood is beautiful- swirls of reds, browns, creams and purples. I've built a few projects with it, most notably a Maloof style rocker, and I've been really happy, right up until I apply a finish. Everything I've tried (polys, lacquer, shellac, oils) all turn the wood a shade darker, which in turn lessens the definition between all those colors. Other than just a wax finish, can anyone recommend something I can test? I've read about new (to me) finishes like Odie's and Rubio oil, but have no experience with them. Thanks!
Does CW lighten with age and UV exposure? I darken my walnut (not claro) before finishing because it sort of fades out over time otherwise.
(09-19-2020, 09:44 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Does CW lighten with age and UV exposure?  I darken my walnut (not claro) before finishing because it sort of fades out over time otherwise.

I believe it will eventually lighten. My oldest piece is only about 4 years old so I can't speak from experience. I'm also not sure if all the brilliant colors will eventually turn brown, as so often happens.
(09-19-2020, 09:40 AM)ed kerns Wrote: So, I'm lucky enough to have a small stash of Claro on hand, and the wood is beautiful- swirls of reds, browns, creams and purples. I've built a few projects with it, most notably a Maloof style rocker, and I've been really happy, right up until I apply a finish. Everything I've tried (polys, lacquer, shellac, oils) all turn the wood a shade darker, which in turn lessens the definition between all those colors. Other than just a wax finish, can anyone recommend something I can test? I've read about new (to me) finishes like Odie's and Rubio oil, but have no experience with them. Thanks!

For rocking chairs you want to stick with oil or wax finishes, because eventually you will have to repair the finish.  Sweat and wear will cause film finishes to wear through or turn sticky over time, and are not easy to repair without stripping.  Oil and wax finishes aren't as durable but are easy to repair.  

For other projects you can get the no finish look by using an acrylic film finish with a flat or matte sheen.  GF's Enduro Clear Poly in Flat sheen doesn't change the color at all, at least on the projects I've used it on.  

John
Walnut can look cold with a clear finish. Having made a Maloof rocker, I agree with the oil wax finish.

I have played around with other finishes with walnut and one that I like is using rattle can spar varnish gloss to fill the grain. Spray a coat and allow to dry, sand back to wood. Repeat a few time until the pores are filled, and one final light coat. The spar varnish does not seem to darken the wood as much as other finishes.
(09-20-2020, 09:31 AM)jteneyck Wrote: For rocking chairs you want to stick with oil or wax finishes, because eventually you will have to repair the finish.  Sweat and wear will cause film finishes to wear through or turn sticky over time, and are not easy to repair without stripping.  Oil and wax finishes aren't as durable but are easy to repair.  

For other projects you can get the no finish look by using an acrylic film finish with a flat or matte sheen.  GF's Enduro Clear Poly in Flat sheen doesn't change the color at all, at least on the projects I've used it on.  

John
I used an oil finish on the rocker for all the reasons you mention. I've made a few 'decor' type items since and that's what I'm hoping to find a different finish for. I know Walnut can look cold with some water based finishes. In my limited experience, this stuff doesn't react like typical Black Walnut. I'll give GF a try. Thank you.