Alternating tread stairs?
(09-22-2020, 10:20 AM)JDuke Wrote: That ladder with handrails reminds me way to much of the ladders on a ship.

There are reasons they built ladders on a ship that way.  For very steep stairs it is the safest way to go.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-22-2020, 10:20 AM)JDuke Wrote: That ladder with handrails reminds me way to much of the ladders on a ship.

There are reasons they built ladders on a ship that way.  For very steep stairs it is the safest way to go.

Here is an article on "non conforming staircases",  it covers situations  similar to yours.

https://blog.buildllc.com/2016/08/art-of...ng-stairs/
Is there any functional difference between alternating tread stairs and just making a narrow set of stairs? I'm sitting here trying to figure out what the advantage is to a set of stairs that is 2' wide with alternating treads vs a set that is 2' wide with full width treads.

This Old House has an article on the subject:  https://www.thisoldhouse.com/stairs/2101...e-stepping

Still, Lewis doesn't recommend the design for any stair that will be heavily traveled. Neither do the building codes. They generally limit alternate-tread stairs to use for access to lofts and mezzanines, if they address them at all. Obtaining approval for a set will usually be a matter of negotiation with your local inspector.
(09-22-2020, 01:13 PM)Cooler Wrote: This Old House has an article on the subject:  https://www.thisoldhouse.com/stairs/2101...e-stepping

Still, Lewis doesn't recommend the design for any stair that will be heavily traveled. Neither do the building codes. They generally limit alternate-tread stairs to use for access to lofts and mezzanines, if they address them at all. Obtaining approval for a set will usually be a matter of negotiation with your local inspector.

Thanks.  I was thinking about tread width, not tread depth.  I can see how that can shorten the run but still have a comfortable rise.

I have used ship ladders courtesy of the Navy for a 24 month period, so I am as familiar with ship ladders as I ever want to be.

That experience and the recollections of how they function (it has been a few years) is why I am examining alternate tread stairs.

I don’t mind steep as long as there is a handrail, what I specifically did not like about ship ladders, was the narrow tread only allowing a small portion of your foot on tread during descent.

Several times during descent, a small mis step caused the heel to slip and rapid acceleration of descent, followed by rapid deceleration and pain.

After 2 years on board ship with the last 6 months as a solid block of deployment, I became so confident on ladders that when I arrived home, I would without a second thought turn and descend from a 6 foot step ladder facing away from the ladder, and never fell.

It appears to me like the alternate tread stairs solve my main complaint against ladders, but it’s always good to hear from someone who has actually lived with a new concept design if that experience is available.

Thank you
Duke
So I decided I would try a set of alternate tread stairs.

Built them from 3/4 plywood they look more like a ladder than standard stairs.

So far they have been up for a day, and I do like them.
They will take some getting used to.
Much like a ladder they are fine for one way transit, but turning mid stair is not ideal.

If you start at either top or bottom and go all the way they are great, but stop and start are challenging as I have noticed that my muscle memory expects a full width tread.

I’m going to keep them a while and see how they stand the test of time.