Off topic??
Hey folks,

This may be a little off woodworking topic, or not.  I'm trying to cut threads on a nail.  Specifically, 8-32 threads on a 16d nail for a woodworking project I'm working on.  The project is for a friend and we're trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.  The cost for 3 inch partially threaded screws is not in his budget so I am having to improvise.  I've tried threading a couple of the 16d nails with some success.  I had success with one but haven't been able to duplicate the process on any more.

Has anyone any thoughts on this?  Maybe my8-32 die isn't sharp anymore.  Or is it just too much to ask of it to thread a 16d nail?

RaiyB
Have you tried to grind a slight taper on the end you are trying to thread? A nail is not a hardened metal so it should thread easily, use oil. The shaft size on a 8/32 is .169" or a little less than 11/64". I measured a 16 penny sinker = .148". Not sure I helped you.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I don't know what your friends budget is, but I just checked out McMaster-Carr.  I searched for 8-32, 3", and partial threaded and there are a laundry list of screw types.  A lot of packs of 5 for less than $10.

The cost of ruining your 8-32 die is about $20...is he going to pay to replace that?
(09-23-2020, 04:54 PM)falcon Wrote: Hey folks,

This may be a little off woodworking topic, or not.  I'm trying to cut threads on a nail.  Specifically, 8-32 threads on a 16d nail for a woodworking project I'm working on.  The project is for a friend and we're trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.  The cost for 3 inch partially threaded screws is not in his budget so I am having to improvise.  I've tried threading a couple of the 16d nails with some success.  I had success with one but haven't been able to duplicate the process on any more.

Has anyone any thoughts on this?  Maybe my8-32 die isn't sharp anymore.  Or is it just too much to ask of it to thread a 16d nail?

RaiyB
Ordinary nails are not hardened but are pretty tough steel...The die you are using is not very much harder in all probability, {Hardened tool steel} and has gotten dull....you can buy a High speed Steel die and that may suffice for enough to fill your need but the HSS dies are expensive. They do last longer on harder metals.

One other thing you can try if you have a split type die...Try opening the die up a little { like half a turn of the adjustment screw } with the adjustment screw on the side of it. It may be set too tight for the diameter of the nail...use plenty of oil and back the die off half a turn each time to clear the chips...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

You could anneal the nail first and then reharden it after threading.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.  I couldn't find any screws locally.  I'll try McMaster-Carr.  And, yes, I did taper the nails.  That's how I cut the threads on the one that worked.  I'll also see about getting a better die.  I could use one.

Thanks, again.
Ray B.
FWIW, I had a little time so I went out the shop, annealed the end of an 8d nail by heating it to orange and then let it cool. I ran an old die down it and it cut beautiful threads very easily. Heated up again, quenched it, and I have a very nice threaded nail.
I usually just buy ring shank nails....
Laugh

Ed
(09-24-2020, 09:24 AM)falcon Wrote: Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.  I couldn't find any screws locally.  I'll try McMaster-Carr.  And, yes, I did taper the nails.  That's how I cut the threads on the one that worked.  I'll also see about getting a better die.  I could use one.

Thanks, again.
Ray B.

Will 8-32 threaded rod work ? Use a nut on each end.   A 36' 8-32 threaded rod is $1.60 at Menards.   Roly
Sounds like you’ve got your question answered, but my curiosity is piqued...what is the project?
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp