Anyone used 1-800-GOT-JUNK?
Previous owners (there have been 3) left a lot of junk in the crawl space.  Mostly construction stuff, but I even see the metal frame of a couch down there.

Has anyone used 1-800-GOT-JUNK?  How was their pricing?  I'm thinking it'll be easier to pay them to get it to the dump than me making multiple trips (and paying dump fees).
You can probably get a "scrapper" to take the metal, that might at least lighten your load. Know anyone with a wood stove or fire pit to take care of the "eligible" wood?
(09-23-2020, 07:55 PM)toolmiser Wrote: You can probably get a "scrapper" to take the metal, that might at least lighten your load.  Know anyone with a wood  stove or fire pit to take care of the "eligible" wood?

Scrap prices are at near all time lows and most scrappers will charge you for them to take it. Even aluminum is barely worth the gas to haul it in these days. Steel is a penny a pound scrap value....
(09-23-2020, 09:55 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:      
              Scrap prices are at near all time lows and most scrappers will charge you for them to take it. Even aluminum is barely worth the gas to haul it in these days. Steel is a penny a pound scrap value....

I have heard that scrap metal has no value. 

I don't care.  I would rather give it to the scrap yard than have to pay the landfill to take it.  I can haul my scrap to the yard and they gladly take it.  I do imagine they will charge me to come and get it.

On the other hand it is rather convenient that I can go to the scrap yard and come home with some very usable "stuff" for almost nothing (and I always give them more money than they ask).  I try and do my part to keep them in business.

I bought a perfectly good Anheuser - Busch "pony" beer keg a couple of months ago.  I don't even drink alcohol, which is probably why it makes such a conversation piece when folks come to The Shop.  Price paid = $3 (sold by the pound).  They don't seem to care what it is - only how much it weighs.  They also had a larger Pabst keg, but it was full of some "liquid stuff" so I did not want to mess with it.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(09-24-2020, 04:25 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: They also had a larger Pabst keg, but it was full of some "liquid stuff" so I did not want to mess with it.

That's one of the more complimentary terms I've heard used for Pabst.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(09-23-2020, 05:46 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: Previous owners (there have been 3) left a lot of junk in the crawl space.  Mostly construction stuff, but I even see the metal frame of a couch down there.

Has anyone used 1-800-GOT-JUNK?  How was their pricing?  I'm thinking it'll be easier to pay them to get it to the dump than me making multiple trips (and paying dump fees).

I got a quote from them to haul away a pile of decking and railings from a deck I rebuilt last summer. They were ridiculously expensive, almost laughable. I found someone on Criagslist who did it for 25% of what 1-800-got junk wanted.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
My brother in law had some local junkers haul off some stuff years ago, and then had several things stolen.

Sheriffs dept specifically asked about junk haulers in their investigation, as it apparently was a pretty common way for them to case a place.

I rented a 40 yard dumpster for $800 a couple years ago, filled it up and used the grapple on the tractor to pack it down to fill it more.

Well worth it.
Most of the time if they advertise on the radio and tv they are to expensive
Have a neighborhood FB page? I have had good luck getting neighborhood teens/college age kids to make dump runs for $50 per pickup load. They've been lugging it to their truck from where it sits (basement, backyard, etc.).  

Plus tip.
we have lots of local guys with dump trailers offering to make dump runs.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark