What type of lighting
I have little natural lighting in my shop, and I'll be replacing existing lights. What type of lighting (LED?), is the best for finishing projects?

Thanks in advance!

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-24-2020, 02:48 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I have little natural lighting in my shop, and I'll be replacing existing lights.  What type of lighting (LED?), is the best for finishing projects?

Thanks in advance!

T.

I don't think it matters much what the light source is.  What does matter is the temperature of the light they emit.  Natural sunlight has a temperature of 5000K.  I use 5000K LED lights in my spray booth and above my workbench and most people think my color matches are pretty good.  

John
(09-24-2020, 07:31 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I don't think it matters much what the light source is.  What does matter is the temperature of the light they emit.  Natural sunlight has a temperature of 5000K.  I use 5000K LED lights in my spray booth and above my workbench and most people think my color matches are pretty good.  

John

Interesting! Thanks!

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Color temperature doesn't always give you all the information. The CRI number helps you to know how many colors are missing. The problem is not all manufacturers give the CRI of their bulbs. In general I would stay a way from fluorescent lights. They have made good progress but in general their light if far from full spectrum. I agree with John in the color temp, 5000K best matches sun light. I have also been moving all my lighting to 5000K LED and if I have the information I get ones with a CRI as close to 1 as I can.
FWIW

Some of the newer LED's include dip switches to select the color temp.
If you get a chance, get on You Tube and watch car painters spray clear-coat on cars. You'll see them sight down a car at a low angle while they spray clear.It doesn't really matter how much light, it matters if you can see the light's reflection at the low angle. This way you can see imperfections, dry spray and orange peel etc.

Although, the more light, the merrier. I like bright sunlight when I can get it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay