Forstner Bit Recommendation
I need to build a large (2") Forstner bit for a project I'm working on (staked table).  I had always heard good things about the Colt Maxicut Bits, but apparently those are no longer made.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Also, this bit is going to need to go in at a slight angle.  Not sure if that makes much of a difference, but figured I should mention it.

Mark

(09-25-2020, 10:50 AM)msweig Wrote: I need to build a large (2") Forstner bit for a project I'm working on (staked table).  I had always heard good things about the Colt Maxicut Bits, but apparently those are no longer made.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Also, this bit is going to need to go in at a slight angle.  Not sure if that makes much of a difference, but figured I should mention it.

Mark
Could you use a hole saw and a router to clean up the bottom of the hole?

the "angle thing" may make this impractical, on second thought.
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I bought a set of cheap forstner bits, they worked ok for a short time.

Then I bought a set of Freud forstner bits about 10-15 yeas ago....they still cut great today.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

The Freud bits are very good, both the carbide and the HSS. They have a 2" one that would be worth considering, and it shouldn't have a problem with the angle on a DP.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I got a Freud set in 2011 and they are still going strong. If/when I need to get a replacement bit, it'll be another Freud.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
A practical consensus makes that pretty easy. Thanks for the help. I'll probably go with the HSS one (as this isn't a size I see myself using frequently).

Mark

If for any reason you’re not using a drill press, drill the hole in a larger block, then rip it at the proper angle. Give yourself enough extra size to clamp it securely. Then, the angle won’t be an issue.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Affinity Tools sells the Fisch brand bits. I have their Wave Cutter forstner bits. 
Best cutting Forstner bits I have encountered in 30 years as a professional.

If you need to drill clean holes, spending more on the bits to begin with will probably save you in materials.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
So wave cutter or freud... Thanks guys, I have been looking for better quality FBs for a while.
The Apple wont fall;
Let's go and shake the tree.