FWW Gallery Submittal
Congratulations to both of you.
(09-27-2020, 12:24 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Nice, Don. And the drawers? I’m a sucker for drawers. Where did you get the Jarrah!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jarrah was from a local supplier (https://www.globalwoodsource.com/). I’m a big drawer guy myself - always shooting for the “perfect” fit.

Fronts are hand fit for each opening; HB DT’s on the front and I typically use a rabbet on the drawer backs (sides and back material  – more Cherry). Drawer bottom is (always) a solid, raised panel (no plywood for me). For drawers this size, I shoot for a TOTAL of 1/32” side-to-side clearance and no more than 1/16” top to bottom. If they pass the “single pinky” push test – they are a good fit. 

I like that Don. Interesting spacing of dovetails - a good bit of detail. Overall, excellent work!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Congratulations to the both of you!

Derek, I admire the way you keep your cool after Pekovich steals from you not once, but twice!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
congrats to both - just saw the pieces.
it will be interesting to hear what fwwing says - keep us posted
jerry
A few years ago someone posted about a technique they came up with. Within a few post someone pop up and implied it was a stolen idea that they had mentioned years early. I just chuckled because I remembered having done it that why over 20 years. 

I did my first hand cut dovetails on a small two drawer with a top compartment jewelry box for my wife in 1980.  Sides were mahogany. The top was a frame and panel with mahogany with walnut floating panels.  It had  tapered sides and I could not quite figure out the best way to mark them on how many tails/pins would work best,  so I used masking tape and marked it up several times and cut the final pattern that way on the final masking tape marks. 

Sometimes like minds think alike. 

Back then there was no internet to steal ideas from or to even ask someone for some help in how to do it if you couldn't figure it out. 

You just make up as you go sometimes.

Rob
Congrats to you both! Just received my issue and can imagine how difficult it is to have a piece approved for publication.

Doug
(09-26-2020, 10:03 AM)Don_M Wrote: I didn’t want to get ahead of my skis on this one because sometimes you never know. But a while back I submitted one of my projects to FWW and lo and behold they accepted it for the December/November issue Readers Gallery section. Was originally scheduled for the June/July issue but was delayed.

I believe the Nov/Dec issue is out now. Sideboard; upper RHC of Pg. 76.

https://en.calameo.com/read/00080032616b...&view=book

I don't receive FWW any more and the details are lacking in the link. Are the door panels made from solid or veneered panels? What type of wood for the center panel is that?
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Derek, that's beautiful work.  Your choice of pulls is perfect.  They don't distract but add a subtile curves to the front and allow the beauty of the wood and design to come across perfectly.
Drawer sides:  She oak?
(10-01-2020, 11:38 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Derek, that's beautiful work.  Your choice of pulls is perfect.  They don't distract but add a subtile curves to the front and allow the beauty of the wood and design to come across perfectly.
Drawer sides:  She oak?

Thanks Bob

Just in case some are confused about my photos disappearing, I deleted my pictures earlier as I think of this as Don’s thread, and not mine. However, since it seems that it has become “our” thread, I’ll post them again ...

FWW posted this on Instagram ....

Derek Cohen of Perth, Australia, built this chest of drawers for his wife; it features figured Jarrah drawers and a makore frame-and-panel case. “Essentially, the design is a modern bombé, with tapered and curved sides, and a bow front. The drawers required compound dovetails,” he said. The top conceals a dressing-table mirror, and the top drawer has a hidden Quaker lock to protect a jewelry drawer with sliding trays. 
JARRAH AND MAKORE, 16-1⁄2D X 24-1⁄2W X 49H 
FROM FWW 285

[Image: FWW-on-Instagram.jpg]

The sides are Makore, which is from West Africa, I believe. The drawers are Jarrah.

Other details ...

[Image: Lingerie-Chest3L.jpg]

[Image: Lingerie-Chest2L.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com