Inlace Granuales
Was planning on trying to turn a few braclets and thought a little Inlace resin embellishment would be nice.  As usual, the Inlace Kit resin has been sitting awhile and is now hard as a rock.  I don't use much of it so not suprised.  I do have a can of BGArtforms pen blank resin that I occasionally use for turning pens.  Problem is the same thing applies , don't use enough of it to keep it from going bad before the can is empty. (though this can is relatively new and useable)  Seeing that Inlace granuales are a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the pre mixed Inlace Kit, was wondering if adding the granuales to the pen blank resin would give the same results?  And, would the finished inlay sand and buff like the mixture in the Kit? If this would work it would eliminate throwing out half full hardened cans of Inlace and Pen resin. Input from anyone having tried this , or knows if it would work appreciated.  Thanks
I cannot verify the inlace powders, but crushed turquoise seems to work well for some of our club members.

IIRC, some of them mix the crushed stone or coffee grounds or sawdust into epoxy and use that.

I know that some of them put thin CA glue into an opening (using tape backup if needed) and then load down the glue with whatever powder they are using. They hit it with some accelerator, add another layer of glue and powder, and repeat until a bit proud.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Just a thought. Would the two part epoxy you can get in a syringe type container a the borg stores work. I have had some setting in the recapped syringe for a year and it worked for what I wanted. IIRC it was not that expensive.
Thanks for the replies.  Think I'm going to order some granuales for about $7 with shipping, use the pen blank resin I have and give it a try.  Certainly cheaper than buying a whole Kit.  The two part epoxy tube does sound interesting and don't see why that wouldn't work either, other than your not really getting a lot of product for the cost.  Thanks again.
(09-28-2020, 12:26 PM)meanderawl Wrote: Thanks for the replies.  Think I'm going to order some granuales for about $7 with shipping, use the pen blank resin I have and give it a try.  Certainly cheaper than buying a whole Kit.  The two part epoxy tube does sound interesting and don't see why that wouldn't work either, other than your not really getting a lot of product for the cost.  Thanks again.

If you're thinking epoxy, I've never had a bad experience with Harbor Freight 2 part epoxy. I always keep these around.

https://www.harborfreight.com/super-stro...92665.html

I can glue up 2 pepper grinders from 1 little kit.
Since the resin is meant to be turned, I doubt if it's standard epoxy.  I suspect it's polyester resin, since the hardener is commonly used with polyester resins.  Inlace sells the hardener but not the resin.  Polyester resin is a common crafts material.  You can find it and the hardener at stores such as Michael's and Hobby Lobby.  The hardener is methyl ethyl ketone peroxide.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill