Best all-around general purpose oil
What is a good, general-purpose, all-around oil for use around the house and shop?  Something that can be safely used on nearly everything?

I know there's 3-in-1, but I think I read somewhere it's based on vegetable oil, which gunks up over time.  Is that true?

WD-40 is more of a solvent and water displacer.  You can use it to unstick parts, but as I understand its best use is as a cleaner and rust inhibitor.  I don't think I'd use it alone for hinges, etc.

Tri-Flow seems pretty good.  It's marketed for bikes. 

I know Ballistol is great for guns. Would you hesitate to use it on anything?

What. do YOU use as an all-purpose oil?  

Thanks in advance!

- Ray
(09-28-2020, 10:40 AM)RayFlec Wrote: I know there's 3-in-1, but I think I read somewhere it's based on vegetable oil, which gunks up over time.  Is that true?

What. do YOU use as an all-purpose oil?  

Thanks in advance!

- Ray

I use 3-in-1 and have had good luck.  I Googled the MSDS safety sheet and found it's 97% Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic Oil.  And I had absolutely no idea what that meant!

More Googling found it is petroleum oil that's undergone a process that makes it flow better.

It hasn't gunked up for me.

Mike
3 and One is SAE-20 motor oil. It's a good household oil. I'm not sure you can buy quarts of SAE-20 anymore. I used to put it in my thumb oil cans. SAE-20 is an old high quality formula from before W designations. A farm machinery mechanic told me to use 0W-20 or 5W-20 outdoors because SEA-20 will thicker in the winter and not lubricate as well. 0W or 5W won't get noticeably thicker in cold weather. So now I buy a quart of 0w-20 for my thumb oil cans.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

A quart of 0w-20 is cheaper than a 3 oz bottle of 3 and One

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Anybody want to tackle detergent vs non-detergent, or isn't that even a concern anymore?
I mix regular 30 or 40 weight cheap engine oil with a little mineral spirits to thin it down. Or get regular 5-20w motor oil.

The regular oil seems to stay in place better than synthetic.
I have a can of WD-40, Kroil, 3 n 1 oil, Tri-Flow, PB Blaster, Royal Purple Maxfilm, Lps #1 #2 #3 plus a couple more. LPS #2 works very well to prevent rust. Kroil is a good penetrating oil for tight parts. PB Blaster is also a good penetrating oil. They all have there place. If one doesn't work I try another.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(09-28-2020, 08:35 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Anybody want to tackle detergent vs non-detergent, or isn't that even a concern anymore?

Probably not so much for general purpose household oil.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-28-2020, 08:04 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: 3 and One is SAE-20 motor oil. It's a good household oil. I'm not sure you can buy quarts of SAE-20 anymore. I used to put it in my  thumb oil cans. SAE-20 is an old high quality formula from before W designations. A farm machinery mechanic told me to use 0W-20 or 5W-20 outdoors because SEA-20 will thicker in the winter and not lubricate as well. 0W or 5W won't get noticeably thicker in cold weather. So now I buy a quart of 0w-20 for my thumb oil cans.

Thanks for the great info!  

I presume one can get 0W-20 at an auto parts store?

- Ray
(09-29-2020, 10:18 AM)RayFleck Wrote: Thanks for the great info!  

I presume one can get 0W-20 at an auto parts store?

- Ray

Yes

... Kizar Sosay