How are you placing your benchtop mortising machine?
Hi

I’m planning a mortising machine buy probably in January.  

They are a lot heavier than I expected, especially the Powermatic.  

How do you store these or make them accessible?   On a wheeled cart, mounted on a bench, on a shelf and just lug it around?

Mike
You are so correct about the weight...I'm 75, moving it from the floor to the bench is a chore.  For years I've had a rule: "if there is no place to store it, I do not buy it."  Well a fella was selling a three yr old Jet mortise for $50.  I broke my rule.  It resides on the floor under the end of the bench.  Not a good place when it is time to move it.  Good luck.  If you have the room, I think you are more likely to enjoy the tool mounted in a place of its own.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Not responive to your qiestion, but I use a mallet and a chisel. A drill press helps.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I don't use the mortiser very often. Yes it is heavy so I set it on my arc welding machine that also does not get used much either.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I just lug mine onto the bench when needed. I don't use it too often, and I do all of the motises at once for a project. I dont think it's worth a dedicated stand.

What I have been getting tired of lugging around is my v-drum sander. It's bulky, heavy, and I use it a lot. I might make something to hold that.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(09-29-2020, 12:13 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: I just lug mine onto the bench when needed. I don't use it too often, and I do all of the motises at once for a project. I dont think it's worth a dedicated stand.

Same here. It sits in the corner and I lug it out to my main work table and then do all cuts at once.. Agreed it's quite heavy!   Since I got a domino it sees far less use.
(09-28-2020, 12:01 PM)mikefm101 Wrote: Hi

I’m planning a mortising machine buy probably in January.  

They are a lot heavier than I expected, especially the Powermatic.  

How do you store these or make them accessible?   On a wheeled cart, mounted on a bench, on a shelf and just lug it around?

Mike

I built a rolling cart with a couple of open shelves beneath for storage for things like dovetail jig, tenon jig etc.
I placed mine on Craigslist and bought a floor-standing model. Couldn't be happier.
Thanks all.  Kind of confirms my thoughts.  

I have a five-ish foot stretch of wall a narrow shelf can fit on and not block the walk past it.  I’d thought of a narrow torsion box top with a couple of cabinets underneath for support.  

Of course, the router table there now would have to move to another wall, and then reducT the dust collector to reach the RT, but on the upside I’d have another horizontal surface to leave things on.  

Mike
You could do something like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc-dw_C-ajQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCcCAKLb5Ww