Tried on the jewelry last night - a progress shot
[Image: 50401820067_52dfcc6af3_c.jpg]51A472C0-6732-427B-9CE4-ACB3AF5AAE15 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

I've been working on this desk for a long time and I've posted bits and pieces of the process here along the way. I've still got a long way to go, but it's beginning to look like a desk and I'm getting excited about it. Yesterday and last night I drilled for and mounted the drawer pulls. It really brought the desk alive and a smile to my face. It's only temporary. I've not finished the drawers but it was easier to drill the mounting holes at this point, and I couldn't resist trying on the jewelry. I have to finish the cockbeading and add the drawer slips and the bottoms. I haven't settled on the design of the gallery, but I need to give some serious attention to that because it's on the near horizon.
Thanks for looking.

Hank
(09-30-2020, 11:54 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: [Image: 50401820067_52dfcc6af3_c.jpg]51A472C0-6732-427B-9CE4-ACB3AF5AAE15 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

I've been working on this desk for a long time and I've posted bits and pieces of the process here along the way. I've still got a long way to go, but it's beginning to look like a desk and I'm getting excited about it. Yesterday and last night I drilled for and mounted the drawer pulls. It really brought the desk alive and a smile to my face. It's only temporary. I've not finished the drawers but it was easier to drill the mounting holes at this point, and I couldn't resist trying on the jewelry. I have to finish the cockbeading and add the drawer slips and the bottoms. I haven't settled on the design of the gallery, but I need to give some serious attention to that because it's on the near horizon.
Thanks for looking.

Hank

Absolutely beautiful work, Hank...
Yes
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Hank: I think you hit it out of the park, again! Phil

(09-30-2020, 11:54 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: [Image: 50401820067_52dfcc6af3_c.jpg]51A472C0-6732-427B-9CE4-ACB3AF5AAE15 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Hank
Hank,  love the inlay -  it really makes the piece look refined.   Can't wait to see it when it is finished.
Really, really nice Hank!  Can't wait to see it with some finish.  A question for you - what size stringing did you use?  I am doing a small side table and will probably use .045".  But with a bigger build like yours did you use a thicker stringing maybe .060"?

Lonnie
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!  Love the stringing and really love the "kite" inlay.  I am showing my ignorance because I do not know what the "kite" is called.  It's not a key stone shape.  Hopefully someone will set me straight.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Looks fantastic Hank!
(09-30-2020, 04:53 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Really, really nice Hank!  Can't wait to see it with some finish.  A question for you, what size stringing did you use?  I am doing a small side table and will probably use .045".  But with a bigger build like yours did you use a thicker stringing maybe .060"?

Lonnie

Hi, Lonnie.

Thanks for the compliment. I worried about the border inlay and banding for a long time. I wanted vertical grain walnut for the perimeter. I finally decided to order the banding from Matt Furjanic at Inlay Banding (https://www.inlaybanding.com). He has lots of off-the-shelf products, but also does custom work. I ordered 3/4" wide banding for the wide drawers and the fall front and 5/8" wide banding for the small top drawer. I don't know how thick it is. Matt said he was sending me "thick" banding, so I could sand and plane it flush without worry of cutting through it. I can measure it if you need the thickness. It's significantly thicker than common inlay.The banding has a wide vertical grain walnut veneer bordered by a strip of holly and a strip of ebony. I ended up trimming off the outside stringing strips of ebony and holly to make way for the cockbeading, leaving the wide vertical walnut band and the holly and ebony stringing on the inside. I tried using various combinations of banding widths to scale it individually to the width of the drawer fronts, but that turned out to be a PITA. Using the 3/4" banding on all but the top drawer looks fine, so I went with it.

Hope this helps.

Hank
(09-30-2020, 06:19 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!  Love the stringing and really love the "kite" inlay.  I am showing my ignorance because I do not know what the "kite" is called.  It's not a key stone shape.  Hopefully someone will set me straight.

HI, Bill.

I don't know the correct name for the "kite" inlay is either, if it has one. I've seen many variations on the keyhole escutcheon, so I don't think the shapes have individual names beyond the broad ones like "diamond" or "shield" and such. This is just the shape I came up with that I liked. I'm glad you find it interesting.

Hank
Thank you all for the compliments on my desk. It has been, and continues to be, a challenging project. I'll post more updates when I make more progress. Stay tuned.

Hank