Copper pipe at the cabin we bought
FYI, "pro-press" fittings are less expensive than shark bites and extremely easy to use.  The local plumbing supply place stocks a wide variety and rents the tool out for $50/day.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(10-01-2020, 06:58 AM)Flat Lander Wrote: From my experience of using compression fittings, it sounds like there is a size difference, using a 1/2" fitting on 3/8" copper. Just tossing it out there.

Using a 1/2" fitting because 3/8" won't fit and you can't find 7/16"? It's a cabin. The pipes expanded when they froze. Happened to a camper I owned years ago. I changed everything to PEX. PEX will withstand freeze thaw. The plastic elbows won't so I only use brass fittings.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I bought a 10 ft length of copper pipe and a large handful of fittings. I had the torch and bought the solder, flux, cutter and a roll of emory cloth. I have been practicing soldering. It looks like a contemporary art piece with elbows and connectors. 16 connections to be exact, 32 joints. My first ones were pretty crude but the last ones are better. Put fittings on each end and hooked up the water hose. Couple early ones leaked but none after that. 
Going out to the cabin this weekend and am ready to tackle the water lines. I'll test them and leave the fitting on. I'll blow the water out before we leave and turn it back on when we come for a weekend. I reinsulated the pump house heavy and I have a 60 watt light to turn on to maintain temp. We hope to use it some till early winter then I'll drain the pump and tank.
Thanks for the info.
When you practice, find out which hand works best with which tool. When I braze or solder with a torch, I'm much better holding the torch in the left hand and solder or braze in the right hand. If I try it the other way around, I'm more clumsy.
I'm right handed.
Get a reamer. Or else use type L pipe.
VH07V