Where to buy non vinyl shutters
I think that people who do good quality work appreciate good quality work. It seems to show in the details.
I hated the look of vinyl shutters so I just made my own - raised panel.  Been up 5 years and they look new.  Yes it was work but I got exactly the size I wanted.  I don't like vinyl siding either.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(10-05-2020, 08:18 AM)John Mihich Wrote: I hated the look of vinyl shutters so I just made my own - raised panel.  Been up 5 years and they look new.  Yes it was work but I got exactly the size I wanted.  I don't like vinyl siding either.

If they are wood, isn’t the maintenance a hassle?
(10-05-2020, 08:31 PM)Randy C Wrote: If they are wood, isn’t the maintenance a hassle?

If you have the ability to make raised panel cabinet doors, then you can easily make raised panel shutters out of P.V.C. trim boards (i.e. Azek). They can be painted any color, shying away from dark tones, and they will look freshly painted for 10 years or more depending on paint quality; about as long as it takes to get all of those shavings out of your shop.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Noticing stuff like that is a good/bad thing.  Just tonight, not for the first time, I glanced up at the crown molding in our dining room.
It was installed upside down.  No one here realizes it but me.  No one is bothered by it but me.

Some day I will probably fix it.

Maybe.

Smile
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I'm redoing and fixing things around the house and doing it the right way now. Much of what I did was when we had kids, were working long hours and doing the kids band and school activities things and running the house.......................... Didn't have the time or money to make the best repairs.
But now, it needs only last 20 years to outlive me, but I still get the best feeling doing everything as perfect as possible. It's my time now!

I make our shutters and have learned a few things from mistakes. They can last 15 or more years. I have some that are over 40 years old and fine.
You can use treated lumber but old yellow pine from old houses will outlast treated any day with good prep and paint. The wood is very heavy with pitch I guess.