Where to buy non vinyl shutters
Does anyone know if there is some type of window shutter that is made of some type of composite. I want something that looks like wood but I don’t want the hassle of maintaining a wood shutter. 

I don’t really like the look of vinyl shutters. Does anyone know if they make them out of some other material that looks like wood?

Thanks
(10-01-2020, 06:31 PM)Randy C Wrote: Does anyone know if there is some type of window shutter that is made of some type of composite. I want something that looks like wood but I don’t want the hassle of maintaining a wood shutter. 

I don’t really like the look of vinyl shutters. Does anyone know if they make them out of some other material that looks like wood?

Thanks

What is wrong with vinyl?? Make them from composite woods you can buy at Home Depot.
John T.
Why do they call them "shutters", if they just hang on the building and don't shut?

Why is it OK to hang "shutters" on the building, when it is obvious they aren't the proper size even if they did shut?
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(10-02-2020, 02:41 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: Why is it OK to hang "shutters" on the building, when it is obvious they aren't the proper size even if they did shut?

look at a lot of them and they arent architecturally accurate,too. slats on shutters should be directing water away from the window when the shutters are closed. the way i see many,IF they closed they would direct water towards the window.
Mine would collect a lot more bats if they faced up. Current crop is enough. Everything that other posters have said about vinyl shutters are true, but I still installed them on our house, and appreciate the looks. I've tried to explain to others that their shutters are upside down and they look at me like I am crazy (which isn't the first time).
They are accent pieces to break up colored wall. Who puts shutters on a bay or bow window??
John T.
(10-02-2020, 06:21 AM)tomsteve Wrote: look at a lot of them and they arent architecturally accurate,too. slats on shutters should be directing water away from the window when the shutters are closed. the way i see many,IF they closed they would direct water towards the window.

I always laugh when I see shutters on a house as they are always put on upside down. That said they do look better upside down.
(10-02-2020, 03:19 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:           I always laugh when I see shutters on a house as they are always put on upside down. That said they do look better upside down.

so im not the only one looking at details on houses,eh?
I used to drive my wife crazy. Everywher we went I would remark on things like that or about how bad mouldings were fitted together. I guess if you are in the business you just can't help from noticing. It is second nature.
(10-03-2020, 03:13 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I used to drive my wife crazy. Everywher we went I would remark on things like that or about how bad mouldings were fitted together. I guess if you are in the business you just can't help from noticing. It is second nature.

I was an electrician for 43 years and I still look up many times when walking through Home Depot and stores where they ceilings are just steel and no grid. I comment to myself how pipe runs were done and what I would have done differently. Always enjoyed seeing good craftsman run electrical piping. It can be a work of art if done right.
John T.