Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws
(10-06-2020, 09:46 AM)Admiral Wrote: Oh, yeah, they changed the handle a bit and went to walnut, i think mine are more like ash; I got the saws on sale during a Hartville inventory clearance several years ago that they posted here, great deal as I recall.

Mine was bought from "The Best Things" - think Lee Richmond had a special run of the saws made with walnut. It was shaped a bit more than the standard run, but still very boxy. Finished the shaping with a "lamb's tongue" and slimming/shaping the rest of the wood.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(10-06-2020, 10:08 AM)bandit571 Wrote: I'll just stick with mine...
A Disston D-115 and a Disston D8 Thumbhole Rip....D-115 is 10 ppi, D8 is 5-1/2ppi, and 2" longer...
Winkgrin

Both are about 100 years old

No doubt.  But everyone can't always find vintage saws.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Going through some things I found a tag from Page, then the saw. He filed and tuned an Atkins 26" Rip I bought probably last fall for about a $100 to $110. I'm sure, now the shipping will cost more than the saw. Buying Amazon's cheap shipping rates through other companies pisses me off.

I could not use the Atkins due to my bad shoulder, but finding a rip in the wild around here is like picking up a 5 pound gold nugget in the street. I plan to be plastic and titanium in a week so may test drive the thing in 6 months.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Hmm..and I have too many saws...

I keep tripping over the dang things around here..

Even have a few still hanging from the ceiling joists...

Or, hanging inside a tool box....

May have a few I could spare....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-05-2020, 03:41 PM)ChuckL2 Wrote: I can buy a 24" Lynx saw for about $90 and a 26" for about $100.  A $26" Pax costs about $115.  I could try to get something decent on ebay, then send it to someone to refurbish, but I suspect it will end up costing a lot more.  Is there someone selling ready to use vintage saws in this price range?  I hope this doesn't sound argumentative; it is not meant to be.

Yes, as was mentioned, and now that Enguneer has posted in the S&S you better hurry or his saws will be gone. There is nothing to fear from them. Just prior to getting the rip cut Atkins from him I returned a new Pax/Lynx to brand x because someone folded it while in transit. You can't control intentional abuse or theft, but Page sends his in sturdy packaging. https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7358135 

However, no one packages a saw as well as Timberwolf. He turns structural engineering into an art form.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(10-06-2020, 04:07 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Going through some things I found a tag from Page, then the saw. He filed and tuned an Atkins 26" Rip I bought probably last fall for about a $100 to $110. I'm sure, now the shipping will cost more than the saw. Buying Amazon's cheap shipping rates through other companies pisses me off.

I could not use the Atkins due to my bad shoulder, but finding a rip in the wild around here is like picking up a 5 pound gold nugget in the street. I plan to be plastic and titanium in a week so may test drive the thing in 6 months.

I hope that that goes well.

What projects do you have lined up for your PT recovery?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-07-2020, 09:33 PM)iclark Wrote: I hope that that goes well.

What projects do you have lined up for your PT recovery?

I am hoping a couple small projects waiting (smoldering) in the wings will be doable in a couple months. But, recovery is wildly variable; from 3 months for young folks and mild procedures--shaving bone surfaces--to a year for some. What they don't volunteer is that replacement limits one to 25 pounds lifting/force. I am not sure western carpentry saws will be usable.

I can see where arthritic conditions will dissuade people from painful activities. Old farts are notorious for minimizing and hiding personal ailments, but a shoulder condition impacts much in hand woodworking. I should present a tell-all here next year.
(10-08-2020, 10:46 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I am hoping a couple small projects waiting (smoldering) in the wings will be doable in a couple months. But, recovery is wildly variable; from 3 months for young folks and mild procedures--shaving bone surfaces--to a year for some. What they don't volunteer is that replacement limits one to 25 pounds lifting/force. I am not sure western carpentry saws will be usable.

I can see where arthritic conditions will dissuade people from painful activities. Old farts are notorious for minimizing and hiding personal ailments, but a shoulder condition impacts much in hand woodworking. I should present a tell-all here next year.

Well, good luck to you, those Orthopods do some amazing work, which in a way is a lot like woodworking, only in bone.  A friend of mine was an ortho surgeon, and also a woodworker, and he always noted the comparison.  Just stick with the rehab and work the plan.  Again, best of luck.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis