Pax vs Lynx Hand Saws
Other than Pax handsaws being breasted, on paper these saw brands look to be the same.  They are from the same manufacturer, both are taper-ground, same TPI, etc.  Apparently Pax is marketed as the upper-end product and Lynx as the lesser. Not sure how important breasting is to a hand saw.  Has anyone had experience with them?  Is Pax a better saw, or is it just a breasted, better marketed version of the Lynx?
(10-02-2020, 03:28 PM)ChuckL2 Wrote: Other than Pax handsaws being breasted, on paper these saw brands look to be the same.  They are from the same manufacturer, both are taper-ground, same TPI, etc.  Apparently Pax is marketed as the upper-end product and Lynx as the lesser. Not sure how important breasting is to a hand saw.  Has anyone had experience with them?  Is Pax a better saw, or is it just a breasted, better marketed version of the Lynx?

I think one has a nicer looking handle. I have never been able to confirm the taper claims; every part measures the same. You can definitely measure taper on antiques. 

For less if not about the same price, you can get a well tuned pre-1950 Distton with all the bells and whistles you ever need. Hand tool fashion will never reverse the appeal of old over new. (Even though I prefer new hand planes to old--slightly.)
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
I bought a Pax sash saw (14 pt. rip) about a half dozen years ago, from
The Best Things. Great saw, well worth the cost (maybe $125 or so), and one of the unsung new saws, in our country. Saw had a walnut handle, that I reshaped. The saw works for crosscuts, as well as rip.

I would recommend Pax without any reservation.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(10-03-2020, 09:55 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I think one has a nicer looking handle. I have never been able to confirm the taper claims; every part measures the same. You can definitely measure taper on antiques. 

For less if not about the same price, you can get a well tuned pre-1950 Distton with all the bells and whistles you ever need. Hand tool fashion will never reverse the appeal of old over new. (Even though I prefer new hand planes to old--slightly.)

I can buy a 24" Lynx saw for about $90 and a 26" for about $100.  A $26" Pax costs about $115.  I could try to get something decent on ebay, then send it to someone to refurbish, but I suspect it will end up costing a lot more.  Is there someone selling ready to use vintage saws in this price range?  I hope this doesn't sound argumentative; it is not meant to be.
(10-05-2020, 03:41 PM)ChuckL2 Wrote: I can buy a 24" Lynx saw for about $90 and a 26" for about $100.  A $26" Pax costs about $115.  I could try to get something decent on ebay, then send it to someone to refurbish, but I suspect it will end up costing a lot more.  Is there someone selling ready to use vintage saws in this price range?  I hope this doesn't sound argumentative; it is not meant to be.

Well, honestly, its really not all about the saw, but about how it is sharpened and set.  I have a couple of Pax "1776" backsaws filed in rip and crosscut I picked up at a closeout sale, and for whatever reason they weren't all that good, but with a light jointing, setting and resharpening, they are one of my favs.  I might have gotten a saw sharpened on Monday morning after the factory saw smith had a rough weekend, but I can't fault the quality of the saws.  Learning how to sharpen saws is a skill worth developing, as one will pay a good sharpening guy $50 or more to sharpen and set a saw properly.  PM Bob Page, "Enguneer" screen name here, he sells vintage saws sharpened and set the way it should be done.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thank you. I appreciate your advice.
Hi Chuck,

if I were in England, I would buy old Spear & Jackson saws and if I were in the US I would buy old Disston, Atkins or any decent old maker. But I do know how to retooth and sharpen saws. If you don't and don't want to dig in there, you better buy new. Best new hand saws today are made by Bad Axe, but that might be over your price limit. The last Pax saws i saw, were made without love to the details. But that might have changed,

Breasted ot not? I never felt a big ddifference, but than have I never work the whole day with a hand saw.

Cheers
Pedder

Aunt Edit says: Go th the s&s section and buy some from Bob Page.
(10-05-2020, 08:16 PM)Admiral Wrote: Well, honestly, its really not all about the saw, but about how it is sharpened and set.  I have a couple of Pax "776" backsaws filed in rip and crosscut I picked up at a closeout sale, and for whatever reason they weren't all that good, but with a light jointing, setting and resharpening, they are one of my favs.  I might have gotten a saw sharpened on Monday morning after the factory saw smith had a rough weekend, but I can't fault the quality of the saws.  Learning how to sharpen saws is a skill worth developing, as one will pay a good sharpening guy $50 or more to sharpen and set a saw properly.  PM Bob Page, "Enguneer" screen name here, he sells vintage saws sharpened and set the way it should be done.

If I recall, the Pax sash saw may have been tagged "1776", came with the upgraded walnut handle. I had to lightly dress the set also, but that was it. The saw feels good in your hand.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(10-06-2020, 05:23 AM)Tony Z Wrote: If I recall, the Pax sash saw may have been tagged "1776", came with the upgraded walnut handle.  I had to lightly dress the set also, but that was it.  The saw feels good in your hand.

Oh, yeah, they changed the handle a bit and went to walnut, i think mine are more like ash; I got the saws on sale during a Hartville inventory clearance several years ago that they posted here, great deal as I recall.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'll just stick with mine...
A Disston D-115 and a Disston D8 Thumbhole Rip....D-115 is 10 ppi, D8 is 5-1/2ppi, and 2" longer...
Winkgrin

Both are about 100 years old
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that