How do you remove drywall that is glued Nd screwed?
Doing drywall demo so I can rewire. But the drywall was glued and screwed. Proving very difficult to remove cleanly.
Thinking about just opening the walls were I need to and either patching it or putting another layer of drywall over the whole wall. Thoughts?

Years ago I had to cover some drywall with more drywall. I found there is 1/4" sheets (I had never heard of them until then) of rock just for (apparently that purpose. I'm not sure it would work in your case, but it's a hell of a lot easier to handle. the hardest part (for me) was the ceiling seam, our ceilings were that infernal popcorn stuff, and getting that repaired was as much work as the rest of the job.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-03-2020, 10:00 AM)goaliedad Wrote: ...
Thinking about just opening the walls were I need to and either patching it or putting another layer of drywall over the whole wall. Thoughts?

Yes
Yes

Patch if it's not too many spots.

Edit to add: When we bought our house, it had a built in phone in the kitchen.

[Image: 750B_1.jpg]

No doubt the cat's meow at one time, but not for us..... it had to go.

So out it went, which left a big hole in the wall, which had a skim coat of plaster on it.

I patched the hole with a scrap of sheetrock that I got at a construction site, and skimmed over it with spackle (a bunch of times, between sandings)

You'd never know it was ever there.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
I ran into this when rehabbing our (new to us) home five years ago.

I demo'd the drywall, leaving behind large sections of construction adhesive and drywall scraps on the studs. I found that my $16 HF oscillating multi-tool out fitted with a rigid scraper blade did a great job of getting under the adhesive, thus removing it and leaving me with bare studs for reconstruction.

Hope this helps.
Patch or use the oscilating tool as stated. If you go over with 1/4" Which I have done you will need jamb extensions on all windows and doors as well as outlet extenders. One thing usually leads to a few more.
I just use a sharp chisel and slide it under the adhesive and peel it off. A little bit of a pain but not too bad. Any high spots I knock off with a belt sander. It doesn't have to be perfect
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

We did a big remodel 20 years ago. The sheet rockers got ahead of us and applied it to the side of a "to be" exposed stairway. I don't remember screws, (it hadn't been finished), but it was glued. Lots of scraping with anything like a pry bar, chisel, multitool, etc. Consider this a bump, because we never found an easy solution. I covered it, but needed the drywall gone. Maybe it would have been easier if it wasn't so new.

Good luck!
I redid a couple of bathrooms last year and removed all the drywall. I used a portable planer to remove the tons of hardened glue from the studs. Went very quickly. Replacement blades were cheap enough.
It ends up not as bad as I thought. I can get most of the outlets in without demoing any more walls. There are dormers on each side of the room and it is a barn roof, so plenty of room ( with access) on each side of the dormers. The ceiling will be left, with some access holes cut- need to add a ceiling fan, and exhaust fan in the bathroom along with some led “can lights”. I have hired a local in the last to help finish the drywall so the patches will work out well.
I will be demoing one complete wall- need to enlarge one window and add two more. No choice but complete demo.

(10-03-2020, 10:00 AM)goaliedad Wrote: Doing drywall demo so I can rewire. But the drywall was glued and screwed. Proving very difficult to remove cleanly.

at least it was also screwed... My house (built 1980) has several walls that were glued *only* and they've sagged and pulled.. visible seams all over the place.