Standing up a bandsaw
I'm picking up a Rikon 10-347 on Wednesday. I'll be assembling it alone and I'm considering wrapping a lift strap around the spine and using a chain hoist or a shop crane to stand it up. It's 7' tall and 500 lbs.

Does this sound safe? Any better methods to consider?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(10-05-2020, 04:53 PM)cpolubin Wrote: I'm picking up a Rikon 10-347 on Wednesday. I'll be assembling it alone and I'm considering wrapping a lift strap around the spine and using a chain hoist or a shop crane to stand it up. It's 7' tall and 500 lbs.

Cliff

I don't know if I ever had a 500 pound item to lift, but probably close. Assembly with the item on it's side is the way I do it. I have always been able to tip the tools into the upright position by hand. You won't be lifting 500 pounds. The higher on the tool you can lift from the more leverage you'll have.

---
See ya later,
Bill
(10-05-2020, 04:53 PM)cpolubin Wrote: I'm picking up a Rikon 10-347 on Wednesday. I'll be assembling it alone and I'm considering wrapping a lift strap around the spine and using a chain hoist or a shop crane to stand it up. It's 7' tall and 500 lbs.

Cliff

I lifted my 650 lb Grizzly that way. Safe and easy.  

John

Cliff

The pics on the RIKON website show an eye bolt on top for a lift point.  That might be more convenient if you have the height in your shop.

Mike
I bought a Grizzly, and just like Mike said about the Rikon, it has an eye bolt on the top, and did what you suggested, worked fine, especially getting onto a mobile base.
(10-05-2020, 06:37 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I lifted my 650 lb Grizzly that way. Safe and easy.  

John

Me too.  As I recall, the manual recommended that method of lift.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

Cliff

I have done several never used anything but leverage.  The thing is keeping the side that's already on the ground locked in place to prevent it getting away from you.  I suggest waiting until the saw is upright to install the table no idea what the directions say.  I leave the table off to take away any temptation to use it in the lift and breaking the mounts
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

My Mini-max also has lift points in the top. So if that saw has an eye bolt for a lift point and you have a hoist it's to imagine any easier. That said, when we brought mine home on it's spine, my grandson lifted it right up. So choose what you want to do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My Griz came with an eye bolt in the top. Used a come-a-long tolift it onto the mobile base.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
The saw does have a support bolt on the top but I'd been told by a salesman at the local woodworking store (they sell Laguna but not Rikon) that he'd heard you shouldn't use it to lift the saw. That's why I was asking. But after thinking a bit I couldn't think of what else it could be used for. So I sent an email to tech support last night and they responded this morning that yes, you can use the support bolt to upright the saw.

Thanks for all the input.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski