WTB Lie-Nielsen Miter box saw
Just tuned up a Miter Box and am looking for a Lie-Nielsen saw to go with it. Anybody buy one they are no longer using?

Thanks

Rob Kirkman
(10-07-2020, 07:09 AM)Archengine Wrote: Just tuned up a Miter Box and am looking for a Lie-Nielsen saw to go with it.  Anybody buy one they are no longer using?  

Thanks

Rob Kirkman

Lie-Nielsen never had a miter box saw in their stock lineup.  They did make saws to order for some years, but have dropped that service.  I too would like a miter saw that had a thiner plate than the standard one that I have.
I have one, but I'm not inclined to sell it! It was basically made to order, as far as height under the spine. This was for a full size Langdon box. LN advertises a saw for the tiny MF Langdon box (think it is #14?). Anyhow, I ordered one for that miter box, also, and it did not fit.

You may want to call LN to determine when they will be producing saws again. In any case, you should measure the height of the saw plate, under the spine, along with the height of the spine. Additionally, you might want to also send thickness of saw plate and spine to LN. Make sure the teeth of the plate are centered in the relief area of the miter box post slot. If I have thoroughly confused you, PM me and I'll try to explain more clearly.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Thanks guys. I am aware this was a special order service they offered. They no longer do. I am trying to find one to work with my Stanley 358 (5” tall plate) or with my MF Langdon (4” tall plate). I am not terribly picky which. I am trying to swap over to a mobile kit that swaps my Dewalt miter saw for a tuned up miter box. I am tired of the weight and pain involved. Obviously if I’m making hundreds of cuts that day the Dewalt will be put to use. But most of the time it’s just a few cuts that I can’t do by eye. So if anyone has one, it’s going to get a work out.

Thanks!

Rob Kirkman.
(10-07-2020, 01:55 PM)Archengine Wrote: Thanks guys.  I am aware this was a special order service they offered.  They no longer do.  I am trying to find one to work with my Stanley 358 (5” tall plate) or with my MF Langdon (4” tall plate).  I am not terribly picky which.  I am trying to swap over to a mobile kit that swaps my Dewalt miter saw for a tuned up miter box.  I am tired of the weight and pain involved.   Obviously if I’m making hundreds of cuts that day the Dewalt will be put to use.  But most of the time it’s just a few cuts that I can’t do by eye.   So if anyone has one, it’s going to get a work out.  

Thanks!  

Rob Kirkman.

You might want to give Issac a call at Blackburn Tools, he sells backsaw kits; now, you might not want to get that deep into making your own saw, but if you want a quality saw plate to your spec (those 5" deep saws are hard to find, I happen to have a 358 and used it to install over $5k of millwork when I trimmed out my house) it might be an option if he can accommodate your depth and length.  You obviously would have to sharpen and set your saw, but with a punched plate that's not too difficult, and then you would have to make your own handle, but TGIAG.com has full size handle templates.  I might have a 4" somewhere in my shop I could spare, I'd have to look.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks Admiral!
I am not opposed to making a handle. Sharpening seems to be the issue for me, but I have the tools to do it. Just not the knowledge. I will look into that tonight and see what he offers. I appreciate your input.

Rob Kirkman
(10-07-2020, 06:54 PM)Archengine Wrote: Thanks Admiral!  
I am not opposed to making a handle.  Sharpening seems to be the issue for me, but I have the tools to do it.  Just not the knowledge.  I will look into that tonight and see what he offers.  I appreciate your input.  

Rob Kirkman

It worked for me:  this is all you need to read: http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Here is a stanley version: Stanley 24x4 mitre saw

Attached Files Image(s)

"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII
(10-07-2020, 01:55 PM)Archengine Wrote: Thanks guys.  I am aware this was a special order service they offered.  They no longer do.  I am trying to find one to work with my Stanley 358 (5” tall plate) or with my MF Langdon (4” tall plate).  I am not terribly picky which.  I am trying to swap over to a mobile kit that swaps my Dewalt miter saw for a tuned up miter box.  I am tired of the weight and pain involved.   Obviously if I’m making hundreds of cuts that day the Dewalt will be put to use.  But most of the time it’s just a few cuts that I can’t do by eye.   So if anyone has one, it’s going to get a work out.  

Thanks!  

Rob Kirkman.

Rob,

If you are looking for a vintage miter saw, I may have one. I have a few just hanging around that I still need to clean up a bit. They were bought to get a better idea of plate thickness, filing, etc.. I sharpened a couple of them and re-handled one for my Miller Falls box, myself.
BontzSawWorks.net
(10-07-2020, 07:09 AM)Archengine Wrote: Just tuned up a Miter Box and am looking for a Lie-Nielsen saw to go with it.  Anybody buy one they are no longer using?  

Thanks

Rob Kirkman

I just sent you a PM.