Lonnie Bird's Secretary
I built the Pa secretary a couple of years ago, but I'm having trouble getting 1 of the pilasters to slide out.

Anyone have experience with his problem? Suggestions welcome. Once I do get it out I'll be sure to apply wax from time to time. Along with the center portion.

Thanks 
Jim
Jim
(10-07-2020, 12:09 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I built the Pa secretary a couple of years ago, but I'm having trouble getting 1 of the pilasters to slide out.

Anyone have experience with his problem? Suggestions welcome. Once I do get it out I'll be sure to apply wax from time to time. Along with the center portion.

Thanks 
Jim

So essentially you have a stuck drawer? Once out, find out where it is pinching and take a hand plane to it.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Probably swelled up with increase RH.  If true, it should work OK again when the RH goes down and then you can make the fit a little looser to prevent a recurrence.  

John
(10-07-2020, 12:25 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: So essentially you have a stuck drawer? Once out, find out where it is pinching and take a hand plane to it.

Thanks Tom. But that's not it, if you aren't familiar with this particular piece of furniture you probably don't understand what is my predicament . There's a locking mechanism that's made with wood the release the secret compartment.

I'm familiar with stuck drawer problems though.

Jim
Jim
Those wooden strips could deform from use or stuck due to dirt or wood being wood, they simply fail. I can think of two gentlemen who might be able to help:

Lonnie himself
Chuck Bender who has worked on secret compartments.

Google for their contact info.

I might try an air gun to see if it can blow away the problem.

Simon