Marking gauge
Can the cutting wheel on a marking gauge be replaced? Mine is getting a little dim.

Jim
Jim
You can sharpen it on a waterstone. Hone the flat side. Depending on what brand your gauge is, some sell replacement wheels (if broken).

Simon
Jim,  If you try to resharpen, you have two options.  One is to just sharpen one spot -  when you use it ,  that spot will score the line and not move - at least I have a few that work that way.  The other method , which is more work, is to sharpen the entire circumference.
They can be replaced - I got mine from Lie Nielsen - https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products/tit...&node=4179.
(10-08-2020, 10:40 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Can the cutting wheel on a marking gauge be replaced? Mine is getting a little dim.

Jim

I would say depends on the marking gauge. 
I have a couple of Lee Valley marking gauges that have wheels that are held with screws, so they are certainly replaceable.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(10-18-2020, 07:25 PM)handi Wrote: I would say depends on the marking gauge. 
I have a couple of Lee Valley marking gauges that have wheels that are held with screws, so they are certainly replaceable.

Mine are held on with screws also.
Jim
A search on google turns up all sorts of places that sell replacement wheels -

https://www.google.com/search?q=marking+...e&ie=UTF-8

What brand is your gauge?  A match would be best, but I can't imagine there's all that much variation between them that you couldn't make another brand work.
Titemark wheels can be replaced (I bought a spare wheel about a half dozen years ago when the original was getting "dim"). However, I never put it on, instead opting to "brighten" the original up a bit. I honed it on a granite plate, on 2,000 grit Sc paper. Good as new.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com